Apr 10, 2012

I is for Inertia

…as in ‘disinclination to move or act’.

I was suffering from a bit of inertia yesterday. It usually affects me after a busy weekend. Suddenly the house is quiet again. Life returns to ‘normal’ and most are finding their way back to their daily routines.

You have probably heard the  advice  “Leave them wanting more”. Well, they definitely left ME wanting more!  I suppose that’s much better than outstaying a welcome, but still, there’s a real letdown when loved ones leave after a great visit!

My sister and her family  have been coming up for Easter almost every year for the past 20 years. And almost invariably, in earlier years, her  sons would cry each time they packed up to go home, because they were having too much fun with their cousins. Well, that’s how I’m feeling. I was tempted to hide my bro-in-law’s car keys in order to have more time with my sis. But I thought better of it. Probably not a good idea. I value good relationships with my rellies!

So, they drove away yesterday morning and I stood on the steps and watched as their silver Toyota Rav, towing a dirt- bike laden trailer, disappeared around the corner.

The house was quiet once again.

In my mind, I had a long list of things to do to get the house back in order. Stripping sheets off the guest beds, doing laundry, vacuuming, meal planning, preparing turkey soup stock,  work…  But my energy had dissipated somewhat and I was drawn to do very little. Like putting up my feet and reflecting on the past 72 hours or so. But I could only do that for so long! So I pushed myself to be (somewhat) productive, but gave myself a little grace to putter, too.

Looking on the bright side, this feeling of inertia only means that I had a fantastic weekend! So thankful for good times with family and friends!

9 comments:

  1. I can totally relate to that let-down feeling when loved ones leave. Fortunately for me my remedy is to work it off, so messes get cleaned up. Glad you had a good Easter weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good response to inertia -- just DO it. :) I usually do, but it takes me a while to get to doing it. :)

      Delete
  2. Your blog is lovely! Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Want to write a paper for me?
    Awww. I'm sorry your weekend had to come to an end too soon. Happy Easter, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!ha! I'd just stare at the blank page..no help to you!! Happy Easter to you, D!! :)

      Delete
  4. Usually when we've had weekend guests I just can't wait to get the house back in order so I get to it the second they hit the road.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey sugar puff. Meant to tell you that I do like your new home here! :) So pretty, and so YOU! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely understand the highs and lows of a fun weekend with family. I live a 7 hour drive from my immediate family, and love the visits, but hate the pile of housework waiting for me after the weekend! ~ Angela, Whole Foods Living, http://www.wholefoodsliving.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!