Ever have one of those terrible, no good, horrible, very bad days? I’m sure we all have, whether we are ‘glass half full’ types or not. An unexpected bill, tough family situations,feeling lost, regret for things you’ve said, bad news from the doctor, overwhelmed by injustice and pain in the world, gaining 5 lbs, being hurt by others, binging on sugar when you’ve been doing so well, family stresses, losing a receipt for an item you want to return. Sometimes it’s the big things, sometimes it’s the little.
As the game show, Who Wants to be a Millionaire? would offer, here are a few lifelines to help you win the battle with being overwhelmed:
1. Phone a friend – everyone needs someone to talk to or even just to sit with when things get rough. This might be a spouse, a close friend, a family member, and God. This is for those special people who keep confidences and really ‘get’ you (or at least love you unconditionally). You are there for them, they are there for you.
2. Poll the audience – Tell the world about it and get some positive feedback. At least some reassurances. This could be through social networking, sharing with large groups, like in church or Bible study, or a group of coworkers. This can be tricky at times—you have to know how much to share. If you have the right audience, this can be wonderful.
3. Fifty/Fifty- List all the ways that might help you calm down and relax. Then eliminate the ones that would just be a bad idea. Choose from the good and go with it. You might: Put your feet up with a good cup of coffee/tea or a glass of wine. Listen to some music that encourages you. Immerse yourself in a hobby for a few hours. Journal. Read the Bible or a faith-building book. Get out and have coffee with a friend. Go on a date. See a great movie. Go for a walk or a run.
What helps you find perspective, de-stress, and find the small or big joys in life again, despite setbacks?
That is great advice! I love that you connected it with the television show. :) Phoning God - I love it. I'm reading "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan in a bible study and this passage stuck with me. I think it fits.
ReplyDelete"The irony is that while God doesn't need us but still wants us, we desperately need God but don't really want Him most of the time."
Whether we are overwhelmed or not, we should be turning to him. :)
I agree. :) I read Crazy Love, too. It's good!
DeleteStopping by from the Challenge. Love your Who Wants to Be a Millionaire solutions for bad times.
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting my blog!
DeleteCan taxes be one of the things I eliminate? Every year?
ReplyDeleteAlphabet Stalker from prose-spective.blogspot.com
:) Wish we could!Thanks for the visit!
DeleteGreat post! I suppose I just take a time out. I mentally detach myself from the problem and collect my thoughts, then think it through and figure out what to do. Spending time with my pets, exercise or chatting with the hubby usually works! ~ Angela, Whole Foods Living, http://www.wholefoodsliving.blogspot.com/
ReplyDeleteYou're right.. pets can definitely be de-stressors!
DeleteNumber 3 is the best, hands down. :) Must try that...sort of restart the engine, so to speak.
ReplyDeleteHugs to you, sweet friend.
And you! :)
DeleteA nice long walk. By myself. I'm an introvert. Time alone can fix anything. And exercise!
ReplyDeleteYes, especially with my iPod, playing some good tunes. :)
Delete