Oct 18, 2012

Deliberate Living

A while back I read a book called The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown.  Brown is a researcher who focuses on what she terms ‘wholehearted living’.  She encourages others to give up unrealistic expectations of themselves and others and embrace their imperfections.  Here’s her list (using vowels as a mnemonic device) for deliberate living - making the most of our days and not just letting our lives drift along.

Questions to ask oneself:

A – Have I been abstinent from the things that I tend to overindulge in (that may be detrimental)? (However you define that )

E – Have I exercised today?

I – What have I done for myself today?

O- What have I done for others today?

U – Am I holding on to unexpressed emotions today?

Y – Yeah! What is something good that’s happened today?

What are you deliberate about doing each day?

3 comments:

  1. Love this list! I might have to post it somewhere I can see it on a regular basis. Except the exercise one... maybe I will skip that question. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I just watched her latest TED talk yesterday. She's done two that I know of. Very good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this list! What a great, yet simple way, to refocus when life starts to feel less than satisfactory. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!