Nov 22, 2012

An Inconvenient Truth

coverhighres-197x300

Being a ‘culture rebel’ is inconvenient. What do I mean by culture rebel? Well, I think, in a nutshell, it’s about changing the attitude “What’s in it for me” to caring more about the world around me and what God cares about. It’s about not making our life’s focus on culture says is of utmost importance: good looks, fashion trends, desiring a life of ease, hanging around cool people,  financial wealth, personal attention, entertainment, even cool food..well, I’m sure this list can be lengthened, and it’s different for different people. I’ve spent way too much time in my life caring about those sorts of things. 

I attended a conference a few weeks ago, and one of the presenters was a dynamic young woman from Calgary named Connie Jakab. She had a great message about becoming a culture rebel and she told her personal story with honesty and openness. She has written a book called Culture Rebel (great little book!), and that what’s got me to thinking about how much of a rebel I am (or not!). It’s inspiring. The thing is, I don’t think we are ever truly happy until we stop living just for ourselves, and become culture rebels!  What do you think?

“Cautious, careful people always casting about to preserve their reputation and social standing never can bring about reform. Those who are really in earnest must be willing to be anything or nothing in the world’s estimation, publicly and privately, in season and out, avow their sympathy with despised and persecuted ideas and their advocates and bear the consquences.” Susan B. Anthony

And here’s a challenge for all of us: What one small thing will we do to make a difference that matters  this Christmas season?

Anyway, check out Connie’s blog, if you’d like. It’s a good one.

2 comments:

  1. I think I like the concept of a culture rebel and I think I'm bordering on being one. I drove by the local K-Mart store this morning on the way home from the gym and saw lots of people lined up already to go shopping, made me sad with them thinking a 32 inch TV would buy happiness. I'd rather take that money and give it to a homeless shelther......

    I'll have to check out the blog and think indeed what one thing to do this Christmas season.

    enjoy your day!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great blog, hope you check it out!

      Delete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!