Jan 4, 2013

The Thing About Hobby Writing

Yes, I'm calling my writing 'hobby writing'. The thing about hobby writing is that there isn't much to show for it. Not like crafting or running or shopping or home decorating.

It's not my ultimate goal to be published, besides self-publishing my memoirs (and that's just for family, if they so choose to read it!) I write because I enjoy it-- have since I could hold a pencil and form words. :) So, when I sit down to write just for me, I suddenly think of everything else 'productive' I could be doing instead of this. It's like part of me is thinking writing is a waste of good time. When someone asks me, So, what are you doing tonight?, it feels weird to say that I'm going to write. Maybe it sounds a bit presumptuous. But I'm getting over it and doing it, anyway. I might say, "Oh, I'm working on my hobby", and leave them wondering

I have decided my goal for this month is to write 1x per week in my memoirs. It's something I really want to do, but for whatever reason, I keep procrastinating. Doesn't sound like much, but at least it's something. I want my first goal of the year to be met, or it will be very disheartening!!

 

 

5 comments:

  1. Good luck...and let yourself be at peace with something that is a creative outlet and therefore good for your well being!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a fun program called Write Or Die you can download for free. You determine how many words you want to write that day and it helps you meet the goal. I downloaded it about six months ago, but haven't used it yet. I know someone who does and likes it though. It might help you get tot hat 1000 word goal this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you are writing - I'd love to read your next book should you feel inclined to write one. You have a gift dear sister - don't feel guilty using it. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so weird that writing can be such a hard thing even for those who are driven to do it.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!