Jun 18, 2013

Afraid to Pray

 

Are you ever afraid to pray? I mean, what if God doesn't answer? It's one thing to pray when you're alone and it's just 'you and God'. You talk to Him and share what's going on and you ask if somehow He'd show up for you and solve a problem you are having. And if He does or doesn't answer the way you had hoped, it's still between you and God, and you can hash it out together.

But what if you're praying for someone who might not share your faith? And that person is sitting right there as you pray? Are you ever afraid to pray? What if nothing changes, and that person asks "Where is your God?"

I'm not sure why I feel responsible for what God decides to do or not do, but as His representative (if we follow God, aren't we His ambassadors?) I sometimes whisper an 'under the breath' prayer that goes somewhat like this: "Um, God, if you don't show Yourself as making a difference to this person, well, uh, he might just turn his back on you for good. And you don't want that, do You? So, it would be really great if you would intervene and show your power right about now.."

Have you ever prayed with a stranger? Or a skeptic? Did God answer your prayers the way you expected? Have you ever wondered where God is?

3 comments:

  1. whew...that brain of yours is thinking away isn't it! Hard questions for sure. We all want to see results...right there...right now. In reality our little prayer for a non believer is just one building block on the castle of eternity that God is building for that person. He knows the when and where for that person. Hard to trust with our little human minds. As His hands here on earth we have to trust Him and wait on His timing. Not easy by any means but reality all the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. must be all this rainy weather.. tends to make me introspective or something! Appreciated your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm never afraid to pray, but I do get tired of praying for the same things all the time. For my progidal son, for different issue with friends, etc. Seems like I ask God for the same stuff over and over, and then it seems redundant, and not sincere, even though it is. I have prayed w/ strangers...I find this easy. Sometimes it's better if you don't know all the details of someone's life. We ALL need guidance and peace. I do with God was more clear with his answers though!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!