Aug 26, 2013

For those of you lacking green thumbs

And I lump myself in this category. But I have learned to compensate for being overlooked when these digits were handed out.

I am by no means a master gardener (or even close!), but I really do admire plants- flowers, bushes, trees, veggie gardens, and even grasses. I couldn't imagine not owning any live indoor plants, and I really don't like fake ones much (although I admit to owning one or two).

I like the IDEA of having a large garden, but never seem to be that successful at it. My family mocks me now and then, but since I have such a great sense of humour, I grin and bear it, and plant a little veggie garden each year. And I sometimes enjoy the firstfruits of my lowly garden ALL BY MYSELF, just to spite them (and to be honest, there sometimes isn't enough to share..)

Do you look longingly over the fence or across the street at your friend's or neighbour's lush, rich, huge, ever-producing garden of Eden? Do you wish you could feel like the half the gardener they are..? Well, read on..

How To Feel Like A Gardener When You Really Aren't One..

1. Attend the local farmer's market more than once a year. Learn at least one vendor's first name and chat it up a bit. Picking through the produce, squeezing fruits, chatting with vendors about color, size, variety, price... you will feel like a gardener in no time!

2. Plant sunflower seeds (and pray they grow). These plants grow so big, and somehow gardening confidence grows along with it (even though I haven't actually seen the nice yellow sunflower yet appear yet this year! What's with that??!!)

3. Share a zucchini from your garden. Everyone knows zucchinis are so ubiquitous (love that word!). Even if you have only managed to grow two and one is diseased or too small to talk about or show anyone, share the better one. Your friend will automatically assume you are a gardener!

4. Place some potted herbs on your deck... even if you have to buy them! (buy them at the end of the summer for half price... so you can brag about the good deal!)

5. Attend a free seminar at your local university on growing plants. You can learn some trade secrets, rub shoulders with REAL plant enthusiasts, and you'll probably come home with some free plants. (Try not to ask any dumb questions, so as to give yourself away.. too late.. I did that.. oh well.. ;)


 
 

6. Oh, and PLEASE dispose of unsightly, dried up, killed, and neglected plants promptly. (This is easier said than done--they tend to be overlooked.) They are a DEAD giveaway of exactly what you DON'T want to think of yourself as!)

 

Hope you feel better about yourself as a gardener now. And if all else fails, remember positive affirmations can never hurt! "I AM a great gardener, I am a GREAT gardener... I am a great GARDENER!..."

 

1 comment:

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!