Sep 18, 2013

Why I Walk

It's really true that the hardest part about exercising is getting out the door! I procrastinate, make excuses to myself about why today isn't a good day to walk, and just generally try to sabotage my plans to be fit and healthy! But, as I did my usual jaunt around the neighbourhood yesterday, I realized all the wonderful things I would have missed had I given in to that voice that tells me to just get on with my to-do list.

I would have missed admiring the lowly worm, pushing itself along the wet asphalt expanse--expand, contract, expand, contract...inching forward. No hurry. No worry. Just enjoying the moment.

I would have missed the generous gesture of a neighbour down the street. Isn't that cool? A 'share chair' out at the end of her driveway, with free fresh produce for whoever would like it.

I would have missed admiring these beautiful sheep!

The sky with its low hanging clouds caught my eye. After so much blue sky this summer, I'm actually enjoying a change of weather.

I would have missed an unplanned little visit with my elderly friend Emma. I decided to stop by her house and pick up a dozen eggs I needed to make an Egg Bake for our ladies' Brunch the next day. She teaches Spanish at the university, but she also tends a 2 acre garden of vegetables, fruit trees, berries, and grapes. She also raises chickens, and bakes goods to sell at the farmers market twice a week. Her energy puts me to shame! We chatted a bit and she proudly beckoned me to come see the lovely Roma tomato plant her husband has been tending. I learned how to keep a plant constantly watered, even when I'm away for a few days--- Place a filled water bottle, with a few holes in the bottom, at the base of the plant. Why didn't I think of that!? I wanted to take a picture of Emma, but she, in her kerchief, dirty apron, and sweat pants, backed off, laughed, waved her hand at me and shook her head. Definitely, NO! ;)

 
I walk because I don't want to miss out on taking time to enjoy the outdoors and admire the 'little' things that make life better.

 

6 comments:

  1. Lots of neat things you see when you walk! How neat to visit with your friend; I love all she does; I wish I had half the energy!

    I'm walking because I know these muscles/bones are getting old and without keeping them in use, I don't want to lose them :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and your walk probably set up for the rest of your busy day! Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think walking in Barnhartvale is more interesting than here...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Aneta! I face the same things, it's so hard to get up the time and inclination to walk. But I am never disappointed by what God wants to show me. (I'm writing a blog post about it. Great minds, right?) I love the idea about the water bottle! What genius in such a small thing :)

    Keep enjoying God's gifts to you, my friend. He sure likes showing them to those who appreciate them!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  5. My doctor advised me to walk one mile a day. I did so for ten days and then I was 10 miles away from home. Had to take a bus back.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful photos! I'd walk, too!!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!