Guess what decided that my cloth gym bag (housing the aforementioned runners) on the floor in my closet was as good a place as any to relieve itself?!
My CAT!! I was very, very, VERY upset with him. Why does he do that, and why there? Once in a while he decides to take a leak on a basket of laundry that is usually sitting on the floor, ready to be folded (and yes, it's been sitting there a little too long). I guess my cat is not a respecter of laundry.
If it's one thing that will make me consider giving up my cat, it's cat urine outside of the litter box.
I grumbled and shot angry looks at Buddy and told him he was a bad cat. He just looked at me, wondering what had gotten into his human. Grrr...
I decided to find a solution as quickly as possible--I googled it. Unfortunately, most of the recommendations were depressing:
a) DON'T throw them in the wash -- you will wreck them.
b) It's almost impossible to remove the odor, so just throw them out and get a new pair. Say what?! I paid a short arm and a skinny leg for those. I don't think tossing them out is the solution! That could cause bigger relationship problems (and I'm not talking about my cat).
So, I did what most people do. I grabbed a box of baking soda (supposedly absorbs all odors) and smothered my one running shoe (only one was victimized) with it. Then I remembered I had purchased a container of eco-friendly granular oxygen bleach from Tropical Traditions. I added 1 oz to a cup of warm water, and stirred to dissolve. I removed the shoe lace and insole, and with an old toothbrush gently scrubbed them and the shoe until all was very damp. I placed all on my kitchen floor heat register to dry for a couple of hours.
YES, it worked!! No discoloration, either!! No odor and clean as a whistle. So thankful it worked!
Household Traditions Oxygen Bleach, I am impressed!
Buddy the Cat...not so much. Grrrr... Hissss!


Glad you were able to clean the shoe and it came out clean and odor free! Funny, hubby and me were just on a site tonight where they had bad cats and bad dogs confessing to their crimes and there were a lot of cats and dogs that did their business on things or each other. Thankfully Koda hasn't done anything like that (yet) but maybe its because we crate him when we are gone so he has no place to do any ideas he might want to do. (we are never gone longer than 3-4 hours when he is in the crate, less hours sometimes and he has lots of room in it)
ReplyDeletebetty
Wished Buddy loved to be crated! ;) I think he would rebel!
DeleteI can so relate to this! We have had a couple of cats over the years that would do this. And there is nothing worse than the smell of cat pee. Ugh. I'm glad you found a solution. I"m going to check out that product!
ReplyDeleteYes, it is worth checking out, if only for this reason!
DeleteSo glad you were able to save the shoe! Our cat does that occasionally to my laundry but usually its a sign the litter box needs changing...
ReplyDeleteBuddy is pretty picky about his litter box, so this may be part of the problem.. I will have to be more diligent and see if things change!
DeleteNot a cat lover (though not a hater), so I really felt for you, but thrilled you solved the problem. Cat tink would be a hard odor to get used to...if you could even get used to it. Waytogo!
ReplyDeleteIt's the worst! And so hard to get rid of, too!
DeleteSo glad it worked!
ReplyDeleteWow! This is a miracle of sorts, isn't it? I think cat urine is SO hard to get out of anything. How great that you already had all you needed. And no discoloring either? I think you need to do an infomercial :)
ReplyDeleteSo glad it all turned out well for you my friend!
Ceil
HI!
ReplyDeleteBad boy Buddy. Bad boy.
I'm so glad you got the smell out though. What a relief.
-Danica