Sep 24, 2015

Hearts at Home


No matter how far away I am, a good part of my heart is at home with my parents. Some days I reminisce and remember those days of childhood and teenage hood (and all the angst that went with that era!). And then the struggle of becoming a young adult -- all the foibles and successes, strong emotions, wondering how in the world I'll ever make it to adulthood in tact. And the string of commonality woven throughout these stages of life was my family. My parents and my six siblings. Yes, we grew up in a family that prayed and stayed and played and worked together.  And no, we were not The Waltons, that wonderful, close, perfect-in-so-many-ways family. Nope, not us, but looking back, I have to say, my parents did a lot of things right :) I am so thankful for parents who loved us the best they knew how and they dedicated their lives to that.

I never remember a time when my dad wasn't working hard. He did whatever he had to do to provide for his family and that meant a lot of different jobs in his younger years, until he settled into the love of his career life - mushroom farming. He was a hands-in-the-dirt farmer at heart. He loved to get things just right so that we would have a bountiful crop of mushrooms to sell. Yes, my first  job was mushroom picking - at age 13 - at the farm my dad was running.  And when my dad bought his own small farm when I turned 15, I continued almost every day after school and weekends. Mushrooms don't wait, so we older siblings worked hard and sometimes long into the night. Back then I wasn't too impressed with having to work so much.  But looking back, those were some of the best family memories ever.

My dad is tired now. He's 83, and has been fighting prostate cancer for 4 years. The prognosis was 3-5 good years. Besides the cancer, my dad is in amazing shape. He looks much younger than his years (he was always a handsome  man!) and he has kept up his daily brisk walks. But things aren't looking too good right now. He's in more pain and walking is becoming more difficult. He's pale and he's tired. Very tired.

It's that time of life, when things can change pretty quickly.


In late August my daughter and I decided to take a quick road trip to visit my parents and other family. I'm glad we made that decision. It was the right one. And it was so worth it. We made sure we joined Mom and Dad/ Opa and Oma for their daily McDonald's 'coffee and a muffin in the morning' routine. And we had some good laughs, which we always do when we visit with them. They are hilarious sometimes (even  especially when they don't mean to be!).


3 Generations

Dad is heading to the cancer clinic next week to get the low down on his MRI and doctors' recommendations. More chemo possibly or simply pain management.

 My parents will be married 60 years next August. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we all could get together and celebrate that?!

5 comments:

  1. Great pictures of you all together! Glad you took the opportunity to take that trip to see your parents. I don't think I know anyone that has been a mushroom farmer, very interesting work I would imagine! It is hard when our parents age and we see them struggling with health issues. Hoping the appointment he has next week is a good one and that your parents can celebrate their 60 years of marriage together next August!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you and Jill were able to visit your parents. You and I are both so fortunate to have grown up in loving families, and to have had such wonderful fathers. This is the first time I've seen pictures of your parents. You look very much like your dad! I hope the news is positive at his upcoming appointment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see a picture of you with your parents...you are very blessed to have them both in your life...I will pray for your dad, God is in control for his days here on earth...also praying for you as you anxiously wait for news from the appointment. Gods peace for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so sweet. And you really so favor your dad. :) A mushroom farmer, though? Never have known anyone who was in that profession. Love that.

    And praying for your dad that he has many more years ahead of him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be praying for your dad and for your whole family. How wonderful that you and Jill got to spend that time with your parents; memories to be treasured. And as an aside, what is it with seniors and their McDonald's coffee? When we saw my parents last weekend my mom was all worked up because she didn't get her McD's coffee that day. Apparently McD's coffee = life to seniors. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!