I don’t really have fond memories of Peppy, but then, Peppy wasn’t my car. It was my daughter’s. Peppy’s had a few adventures over the past four years.
I was responsible for Peppy and daughter’s meeting and ensuing relationship. Little did we know Peppy came with hidden issues – undisclosed by his seller. Buyer beware, I know. But that was resolved (after some monetary outlay, of course).
Once, as daughter was merging onto the highway, Peppy’s hood unlatched and flew up. It was bent out of shape and had to be replaced.
One snowy evening, Peppy skidded into a ditch.
Once, while zipping up the highway, Peppy dodged a bouncing ladder that had flown off of a truck in front of him. Driving daughter only remembers covering her face and screaming, she tells me. (How does a mother survive these stories?!!)
And today Peppy, along with a host of other sad looking vehicles-each with their own story-sits forlornly in Don’s Towing car lot, awaiting his final resting place in a scrapyard.
Peppy was accidentally hit, rendering him irreparable. The powers that be have deemed him too old to be worth fixing. Apparently, they want to rid the roads of cars like Peppy.
This mother is so thankful that it was Peppy who got the worst of it, and not Daughter! The accident was considered ‘minor’. The driver of the truck that hit Peppy was turning left into his driveway and, for whatever reason, didn’t see Peppy and Daughter approaching.
This mother is so thankful that Daughter wasn’t hurt too badly. She is steadily recovering from her aches and pains and back at work after a few days off. Regular chiropractic visits, massages, and restorative yoga will all help.Hopefully she’ll feel back in the pink sooner rather than later.
This mother is thankful for alternative treatments (expensive as they are!). All the MD did was write out a prescription for pain medication (argh). Oh, and he gave a passive nod to Daughter’s mention of what she’s been doing to get better. It probably took all of 2 minutes or less.
This mother is thankful that just because she can’t be there to protect her children, she can trust that God is there, loving and protecting His own.
Rest in peace, Pepster.
Anyone know of a good, reliable, reasonably priced car?
Oh my, yes there is nothing worse than knowing what is out there and releasing our children into the throng...glad said daughter is ok and I'll keep an ear out for a car....
ReplyDeleteYou would think that with all the cars we (Cade!) has we'd have an extra hanging around. But I don't think so. Glad to hear that J. is OK, but wahhh about having to look for a new vehicle.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad J. Is okay! You must still be recovering too. It's rough being the parent of kids that drive. RIP Peppy. Or maybe I should say good riddance.
ReplyDeleteSo thankful that your daughter is okay, but so sad about Peppy. Sounds like a car that really gave his all for your daughter. Thankful too that God does watch over our kids when they are behind the wheel (the stories I could tell). I had to laugh (but not really because I'm glad that your daughter didn't get hurt with the ladder incident) but there is a lady who does traffic here on one of the radio stations. Her biggest gripe about things on the freeways are ladders. I guess they are notorious for falling off backs of trucks, etc.
ReplyDeleteHope you can find a reliable car to replace Peppy!
betty
Ah, dear Peppy...he was a pretty good car, overall. Had character at least, and despite all the issues I have a lot of fond memories of our trips together.
ReplyDeleteJust an editorial note on the ladder incident: I believe you, my dear mother, were the one that screamed and covered her face when she heard the story! I admit to closing my eyes and instinctively bracing myself for a second, but there was no screaming involved...it was an early morning commute after all. I'm not totally awake until at least 9am ;)