Celebrating Advent is one way to help me focus on the true meaning of Christmas and steer away from the hustle and bustle that puts me in a state of anxiousness at times! While I love gift giving and celebrations, I don't love the way the rushing around makes me feel.
So... I celebrate Advent. One small activity each day helps me to relax a bit and makes a space for me to ponder the important things. I know Christmas is only a week away, and advent is almost over, but that's okay. Start where you are. :)
Here are 13 simple ways to incorporate a little advent activity into your life this year. If you'd like to learn more about Advent, check out the post I wrote last year.
1. Listen to advent music everyday, even for just a few minutes. There are some great lists on Spotify. My favorite is Simple Advent, but there are many more music lists.
2. Read a children's version of the Christmas Story.
3. Choose 4 or 5 candles. Light a candle at suppertime. Add one candle each Sunday before Christmas, so by this Sunday, you'd be lighting four . I add a fifth, which I'll be lighting on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
4. Read or sing the lines of a hymn or song that focuses on the waiting period. "Come Thou Long Expected Jesus" is a good one, but there are many!
5. Read an advent devotional. Even if you don't read it each day or finish the book, it will help prepare you for Christmas Day. The Advent Door by Jan Richardson is one of my favorites. As well, check out Taste and See by Jan Johnson, which is focused on becoming part of the events surrounding the birth of Jesus, using your imagination.
6. Light up your living space in the evening with Christmas tree lights and mini lights or candles and enjoy them.
7. Put up a Nativity Set where you'll glance at it each day.
8. Read passages in the Bible that relate to the Christmas story.
9. Attend a Christmas concert or presentation.
10. Volunteer for an organization that brings hope to those who need it. Ringing the bell for the Salvation Army Kettle Campaign, or helping to serve food at a shelter are two ideas.
11. Go out for coffee with a friend and have a chat about making Christmas meaningful.
12. Go for a walk alone and ponder the meaning of Christmas.
13. Watch a movie about the birth of Jesus. My favorite one is The Nativity Story
May your Christmas celebration be meaningful this year! And fun!
Join in on Thursday 13!

Those are all great ways to prepare one's heart for the celebration of Jesus' birth! We've simplified Christmas so much over the years which I'm glad we have done and so it is less stressful these days. It does give us more time to focus on Jesus which is always a good thing!
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas!
betty
Cutting down on stress and more time to focus where it matters is the key to a better Christmas, I agree.
DeleteGreat ways to reflect, relax, and enjoy this time of year.
ReplyDeleteHope it was helpful! Thanks for stopping by!
DeleteA grand list, thank you. Merry Christmas!
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas to you, too! And Happy New Year!
DeleteSound like a great list...hope you will enjoy your Christmas. Happy holiday
ReplyDeleteAnd I hope you enjoyed your Christmas, too!
Delete