Dec 2, 2018

The Advent-ure begins

Advent has begun!

Years ago, my advent activities focused mainly on what was meaningful to my young children -- doing intentional activities which would bring us to the big day -- Christmas! These were simple calendar activities, including (cheap!) chocolates behind the doors as a way of counting down. We'd also read special books, make paper chains with Bible verses on them and remove one each day. We performed kind deeds,sometimes secretly, which meant we could add a piece of  "straw" (yarn) to Jesus' (posicle stick) manger. I guess it was my way of encouraging the children to be nice to each other!  We also had an interactive type homemade calendar where pregnant Mary on the donkey, led by Joseph,  would be moved one day closer to the manger (Dec. 25) each day.  I look back with fondness on our pre-Christmas activities. But I don't think I really appreciated or taught the real significance of advent.  I didn't really think about it beyond anticipating Jesus' birthday. In recent years, it has started to become more meaningful to me.

I think we miss a lot when we don't stop and ponder what was going on in the minds of people long ago, as they were waiting for the fulfillment of prophecy.. freedom from tyranny. A king was coming to save the people. But when? How long? Was this ever going to happen? It was about waiting. We don't seem to sing a lot of songs in church about waiting and longing, do we? I miss that.

 We may not be ruled by a tyrant where we live, but if we're honest, we probably all sometimes feel that the world and perhaps even our own little world has become unmanageable, out of control, perhaps disappointing,  and we're in a long season of waiting.  We lose sight of the hope we have. To me, that's what Advent is about. Remembering the promises of God.. promises made long ago and fulfilled (in very unexpected ways-- through a BABY born in a stable), promises for us today. It reminds us to wait with anticipation because the promises are being and will continue to be fulfilled.

This year I've decided to read Through the Advent Door-Entering a Contemplative Christmas by Jan Richardson. There are 24 "doors" to "walk" through. We'll see how many I enter! I am a realist, after all!



As well, I found a great Spotify playlist called Simple Advent,  beautiful music which focuses on longing and waiting. On December 25th, the celebratory music really starts!  If you're new to adventing (I made up that word!), check out The Art of Simple for some excellent free ideas and resources! If you are adventing, what are you doing this year?

 "Wherever you are, whatever is present in your life, may you welcome the Christ who welcomes you this day".  Jan Richardson




1 comment:

  1. I will have to check the book out. I'm a few days late for it, but been thinking of wanting to do something this Advent season to really focus on the wonderful gift of Jesus.

    betty

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!