As far back as I can remember, I’ve loved books. The first book I was exposed to was the Bible. My dad would read it faithfully, at the table, after supper, every day. I don’t actually remember having a lot of books at my disposal until I began Grade one. My wonderful teacher, Miss Iberg, taught me to read, and I devoured every book that our classroom library corner held. I still remember the day she took me to visit the Grade 2 class. I felt so privileged as my teacher walked me to the back of the room to choose a few books to read. I probably smiled at my older sister as I proudly walked out with new treasures tucked under my arm.
And so began a lifelong love of books.
I’ve got a lot of bookshelves in this house. Some would say, too many! Each year, I do go through them and remove a few more books—ones that I won’t regret giving away. One day we’re going to downsize, so I may as well begin that process now! I also have several totes of children’s books in the garage that I’m saving for future generations!
My life is so much richer because of books!
Books have a big presence in my life too. My first memory of books is my father reading a German children's Bible to us kids.
ReplyDeleteThere are still a lot of books around me, both English and German (although the German ones take me a lot longer to read.
Now I'm putting ideas together to write my own book. I'm blogging to try to sort out what to write and what kind of style(s) I might use. I've got 4 draft chapters completed and am hoping to have a complete first draft by the beginning of Summer.
Horst Peters
http://horst-peters.blogspot.ca/
What a great memory! Hope the book writing goes well!
DeleteBooks! Good lucks with your writing!
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting!
DeleteI agree, my life is much richer with books! I may be living pay-check-to-pay-check at a dead end job, but I love escaping to other worlds through books and it doesn't mean I have to be rich. :) Books are awesome!
ReplyDeleteYou're right about that!
DeleteI'm with you on the book thing. I love them! They were the only thing that stood between me and extreme boredom during my years in elementary school. I also think they were responsible for most of what I learned during those years. And, come to think of it, the years that have followed. I like your new blog!
ReplyDeleteAgreed! Thanks for coming over to my new blog! :)
DeleteI've given away so many books! Wish I had a kindle, the I'd never have to give away another book.
ReplyDeleteI have a Kindle, but I still collect regular books, too! Hard to give that up!
DeleteMe too!
ReplyDelete