..which I am definitely NOT.
I recently read about a book called Introverts in the Church. I need to read that. I’m sure I’ll feel better about myself and my contributions after that. ;) There IS a place for us, by george!
Being an introvert is not necessarily being shy, but I do think they may be linked. After all, I’ve never heard of a shy extrovert, have you?
But, I digress.. this post is about extroverts. Did you know that you can become an extrovert in seven steps? (really??!!) Put a better way, you can balance your introvert and extrovert parts. After all, I believe we are made for community. We are not meant to do life alone. Everybody needs friends, family, and community. Some more than others, but we all do. I believe that each of us is a gift and has something to contribute to the world. The world is a richer place because YOU are part of it. Especially when you are living ‘in the zone’ – the way God created you.
Some benefits to becoming more extroverted:
1. You really appreciate your alone time, after being Mr. or Ms. Sociable for an evening or weekend!
2. You appreciate the gift of introversion more after socializing with some possibly obnoxious extroverts!
3. You might make one or two new friends! Just enough for an introvert like yourself! Who knows, they might also be introverts trying to become extroverts. Bonus!
4. You will develop your social skills and the next time you ‘have’ to be around others, you’ll feel more comfortable. It won’t come easy, but it will be worth it.
Are you an introvert in what sometimes seems to be an extroverted world?
I am a double introvert, and almost all of my friends are introverts. All but one of my family members are introverts. Hmmm...I definitely see a trend!
ReplyDeleteWe do tend to like to stick together!
DeleteHaHa! Your good reasons to be extroverted fold back to support your introverted ways. Am I an introvert, yes and proud of it. (Although, the extroverted world seems to think that it's "wrong" to be an introvert, and I felt bad about being introverted for many years.) My jobs have always forced me to be way more extroverted than is comfortable to me, but the experiences helped me grow. As a children's librarian, I put on about 150 programs a year to an audience totaling around 5000 (for all programs combined). I will follow you by RSS. If you'd put up a followers widget, I'd follow you in public.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the follow! I, too, have had to do things out of my (introverted) comfort zone, and it's usually all good. I do love getting to know people.
DeleteWhenever I have done a personality test, I come out almost on the line between intro and extro - just slightly on the extrovert side. I've always thought that was funny - I guess I have a split personality. I love people, good thing considering we are in the "people business" =) But when I am done with people, I am DONE and I need alone time to recoup.
ReplyDeleteI think some introverts are 'done' sooner than others! ;)
DeleteI'm an introvert and I don't really mind it. I love my time alone, but at the same time I understand why it is good to be with others. God didn't make us to be alone. I probably should try to be a little more extroverted, but being shy makes that hard.
ReplyDeleteI understand. :)
DeleteI have that book! Maybe as an introvert I needed confirmation :)Haven't read it yet, though
ReplyDeleteI see a borrowed book in my future. ;0
DeleteI like my alone time - it would be very easy to become a recluse so I make an effort to get out and meet people.
ReplyDeleteYou're right..sometimes it really does take a lot of effort.
DeleteI am both shy and introverted. Being on display in front of people, being the center of attention, public speaking in front of in-the-flesh people does all sorts of weird things to my body. I shake, my tongue swells, and I nearly hurl. One of my best teachers in high school tried to help me out of this, but nothing doing. It was too well engrained by high school. I am painfully shy. I live constantly outside of my comfort zone because becoming a hermit isn't an option because of our work.
ReplyDeleteIn regards to being introverted...I do my best thinking alone and in a quiet place. I can't get thoughts together with lots of people around or loud things going on. It just doesn't work at all.
I don't think that either the shyness or introversion are ever going to go away for me. Online, though, I'm not so shy. :)
Thank you for such a nice post.
Have a great weekend and a blessed Easter.
Thanks for visiting my blog, Suzanne! I'm with you on the shy/introvert thing. I was always very shy, but have lived outside my comfort zone many times, too. And some things do get a little easier with time. Nothing wrong with being an introvert, right? The world needs us! :)
Delete