Travel back in time for a moment. A small group of children are sitting in a circle, all watching one friend attempt to get the best score. No, they’re not playing some cool, addictive game on an iPhone. A good many years ago, they may have been trying to win at…Jacks! Remember the little game using 10 little jacks, a tiny bouncy ball, and a hard surface?
Thinking about Jacks led me to reminisce about some of the other simple games we used to play, using very little (and inexpensive) equipment, and requiring no internet connection (!)
Remember the small bouncy red, blue, and white rubber ball, about the size of a tennis ball? We invented all sorts of games with those. Games for one or more to play. During recess, we’d run out to the cemented area at the end of the school building. We’d throw the ball against the wall and catch it, then throw it, have it bounce once or twice, turn around, clap, and catch it. Each turn would become progressively more difficult.
Then there was the bouncy ball slipped inside one of Mom’s old stockings. We’d stand against a wall, holding onto the end of the tied stocking and rhythmically swing and bounce the ball from one side of our body to the other, chanting a silly song. I keep hearing the one that started with “Hello, hello, hello, sir. Wanna cigarette, sir? No, sir. Why, sir? Because I have a cold, sir. Where’d you get the cold, sir? From the North Pole, sir.. “ etc, etc..I’m hoping it’s not just me who remembers that little jingle!
Remember clackers? They were eventually banned because they were deemed too physically dangerous. Apparently, they’re available again!
Reminiscing about the games we used to play makes me miss the good ol’ days of simple outdoor and indoor games. No eyestrain, no batteries, no online connections. Just plain fun.
Mind you, I have to say Draw Something (a free app) is fabulous! ;)
Jacks were fun until a sibling left them out on the floor (we had the metal jacks, not those plastic ones) and someone stepped on them. Ouch! But I do love to play still. And I remember clackers! My older sister actually lost a tooth because one hit her in the face. :)
ReplyDeleteYikes! Those clackers were like giant marbles...! They could be weapons, if let loose!
DeleteHow I loved those days at school. Ball games were the best. Children developed their skill, ballance and endurance. I'm not sure how e-games can equal that. But I guess life moves on. ;-) Keep blogging!
ReplyDeletehttp://francene-wordstitcher.blogspot.com
Yes, a lot has changed, but as long as there's a balance in activities, it'll be alright. Thanks for popping by!
DeleteWhat a fun post! And I used to love clackers!
ReplyDeleteThey were noisy, though!
DeleteA walk down memory lane. :) Jump rope, especially "Double Dutch" was my favourite. Good post!
ReplyDeleteI loved jump rope games, too!
DeleteI must have a black hole for a memory because none of what you wrote rings a bell with me. Or did I just have a deprived childhood?
ReplyDeleteWe'll have to get a game of jacks going sometime (if I can find one)!
DeleteSome very nice memories. I wish we could all take time out to enjoy childhood again.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the challenge!
Dianna Fielding
Sociologyfornerds.com
Thanks for stopping by!
DeleteI remember all those things. The red, white and blue ball was a must. You could do all kinds of tricks with that ball and a wall.
ReplyDeleteThis reminded me of skipping and double dutch, hopscotch, marbles. The good old days.
Nice post. Brought back good memories. :)
And the hoola hoop, which is all the rage again, except not just for fun, anymore. Serious workout time! ;0
DeleteIt's been a long time since I've played jacks. The main thing that I love about it was the random conversations with friends while playing.
ReplyDeleteYou're right, that was a big part of it. Thanks for popping by! I attempted to comment on your blog, but I don't know if it worked.
DeleteHey hey. My draw something handle is Danka Warrior Princess.
ReplyDeleteYou should start a game with me.
will do! :)
Delete