Apr 12, 2012

K is for Knowledge

Knowledge is power. I’ve said that many, many times. But actually, that’s not totally true. I can think of so many instances where knowledge does nothing but clutter my mind.

I’m one of those who likes to glean information. I love books and blogs on how to… live longer, be healthier, lower blood pressure naturally, really love my children, have a stronger marriage, get rid of wrinkles, knit a sweater, get fit, grow a thriving garden plot, play piano, win friends and influence people, grow closer to God, stop worrying and start living, understand the culture, live my faith, have a well educated mind, write children’s books, get them published and build a successful writing career, be a good friend, rewrite my emotional script, feel the fear and do it anyway, and on and on it goes.

Sometimes it’s frustrating to have so much knowledge at my disposal and then feel frozen because of it. Lack of time or inclination to actually USE the knowledge. And really, what’s the point of filling my head with (good) information when I haven’t put it into practice?

Knowledge, then, isn’t necessarily power. The more accurate truth would be, as I read in the very informative book The Magic of Thinking Big by David J. Schwartz, “Knowledge is only potential power. Knowledge is power only when put to use – and then only when the use made of it is constructive” (p. 38)

It reminds me of some words of wisdom from James 1:

22-24Don't fool yourself into thinking that you are a listener when you are anything but, letting the Word go in one ear and out the other. Act on what you hear! Those who hear and don't act are like those who glance in the mirror, walk away, and two minutes later have no idea who they are, what they look like.

25But whoever catches a glimpse of the revealed counsel of God—the free life!—even out of the corner of his eye, and sticks with it, is no distracted scatterbrain but a man or woman of action. That person will find delight and affirmation in the action.

That’s good to know. And do.

4 comments:

  1. Knowledge is only power when put to use, such powerful and true words. If we had the knowledge to say, cure cancer, and we never shared it or put it to use... it would be useless. That's a great Bible verse. I'd rather find delight and affirmation. :) Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1 Corinthians 13:2
    "And if I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing." This verses helps me be a better teacher. It helps me understand that although academics are hugely important, showing God's love to each one of my students is ultimately more important to God. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Knowledge makes us feel important, but it is love that strengthens the church."
    Love that verse (though I can't remember where exactly to find it.)

    But I know what you mean. Sometimes knowing less can make life easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's beautiful. Love is a verb. Knowledge without action isn't worth much, either.

      Delete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!