Apr 14, 2012

M is for Moustache

111moustache Blech. That’s how I feel about moustaches. Nothing personal, though. I just don’t like them and think there are very few men who can wear them well. I absolutely despise the big bushy ones, but I could probably handle the Clark Gable type ones, if I had to.

When I met my husband, he had a moustache. I had only seen photos of him as a younger person without one, and those photos just didn’t look like him. It was not until we were married 11 years, did I see him without the caterpillar sitting on his upper lip. We had attended a personal growth-type seminar where, near the end of the 5 days, all the men were told to come to the meeting room the next morning with clean shaven faces. No beards. No moustaches.

Apparently, one can’t be totally open and honest with a hairy face. A clean face says “This is me. I have nothing to hide”. Interesting thought.

Oh my goodness. When I saw my hubby, I did a double take. He had dropped 10 years off of his age and he was so much more… attractive!! It was like I had never met him before. Who was this smooth-faced man? Well, from that moment on, he’s never sported a true moustache… except for the times when we are on holidays and he stops shaving. But that’s different. The only time I like moustaches is when there’s a  short beard to go along with it.

And last November, hubby participated in Movember, where everyone and their dog sported a moustache to raise awareness of prostate cancer.. Needless to say, I convinced him to shave the moustache off early. Sad, isn’t it?

I found a list of the manliest moustaches of all time here. All I can say is…lose the moustaches, fellas, and you’ll be even manlier!

Even Tom Selleck (but I’d overlook his)   :)

14 comments:

  1. I don't mind a moustache, but they need to be neat. My husband has always had one. For a while he had a goatee with it and he looked fantastic! I couldn't take my eyes off him, I was running into walls and tripping over things .... He hasn't had a goatee for a long while now. He says it's too hard to keep trim, but I think he was concerned for my safety. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, they have to be neat. And a well groomed goatee..very nice! Thanks for the chuckle!

      Delete
  2. I have only met one man that looked better with a moustache than without one. In fact when he arrived at work one day dressed in a suit, clean shaven (heavy beard and moustache removed), and with a really short hair cut. He worked the whole day pretending to be his own substitute teacher and it worked. He even came in to my classroom and asked me a bunch of questions! It was really convincing. He looked totally different. He had everyone, especially his students tricked! He eventually grew it all back again. He loved the joke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun post! I too swore off moustached-men early on. Little did I know my first kiss and boyfriend of 5+ years would have a moustache! Fast forward, and now I'm married to a wonderful man with a 'stache and goatee! LOL! And now I actually love it! ~ Angela, Whole Foods Living, http://www.wholefoodsliving.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I can't argue with that.. happily married, despite the moustache! ;)

      Delete
  4. I don't mind men with moustaches. But women?? That's another story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you mustaches.... gross. I don't mind a little facial hair on a guy, but a mustache just grosses me out. I like Anne's comment above, very funny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like my husband's mustache. He's just not at all the same without it. :) For the first two years of our oldest daughter's life, he had a beard and a mustache. When he shaved it, she had no clue who he was. She didn't recognize him. I wish that I had a picture of the look on her face when she first saw him like that. :)

    I enjoyed your post. Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing how facial hair changes a man's looks!

      Delete
  7. Oh my. Can't believe the seminar you went to asked the men to shave. My husband wouldn't have been back the next day, and he's not hiding anything! He was clean-shaven when we met, but over a holiday began growing a mustache. Now his rivals Sam Elliot's on Elliot's best day. I love it!

    Can't agree with you on this topic!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you after I wrote this post.. we can still be blog buddies, right? ;0

      Delete
  8. Did they make the ladies in the seminar show up without makeup too?
    I think mustaches are generally cheesy. Some men can pull off the look of a nice beard, but I wouldn't want to kiss a man with one.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!