Apr 16, 2012

N is for NanoWriMo

When I first heard of NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month), I thought it was intriguing, but not something I could ever do. Join thousands of others across the globe and write a 50,000 word novella in 30 days? But, it definitely piqued my interest and I signed up for the 2005 Challenge.

Looking back, it was both a blur and a blast! November is always a crazy busy month for me with work. I work on the computer, so that meant I’d be tied to this beast for many hours per day. But, the writer in me really wanted to see if I could do it. And I did. I created a playlist of music that would get me in the groove, I used the internet to research facts, and my characters became composites of people I knew.

The only problem was… the main character had MY personality.  Oh, my. I didn’t know how to be someone else. Anyone who knew me and read this story would know it was me, even though the events were fabricated! Nevertheless, I managed to write an entire (unedited) novel in 30 days, and yes, I was quite pleased with myself. I’m certainly not saying the story was quality, but I learned a lot about writing…breaking through writer’s block, especially. I had to set the timer, meet word count goals, and reward myself with chocolate to accomplish my daily plans.  I loved it when the words seemed to flow out of my fingers and I couldn’t type fast enough. Especially when I didn’t know where my fingers would take me!  It was a wonderful experience.

That year, an online publishing company, Lulu.com, generously offered to publish a completed NaNoWriMo book FOR FREE, so I jumped at the chance. I designed the cover from a limited number of templates, I did some quick editing, added the introduction, dedication page, etc, etc.. and pushed the ‘submit’ button. A couple of weeks later, it arrived in the mail. My published NaNoWriMo Novel…. Goodbye to Yesterday (sappy or what?! I laugh now) was in my hands. What a feeling! I even had a few more printed to give to my family and friends (those who begged me).

I also completed Family, Friends, and Other Strangers for  the 2006 Challenge . It’s still sitting as an unedited Word document on my computer.

NaNoWriMo taught me how focused and disciplined a person must be if they are serious about writing.  It’s HARD and time consuming work to write, and then edit.  And edit again, and maybe again. I don’t know if I have the passion or determination to do that. I do enjoy a little writing now and then, though.

What do you love about writing?

8 comments:

  1. I love your chocolate self-bribery plan! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

      Delete
  2. I have one of those NaNoWriMo novels too that was way too much like my personality. It's taken some practice, but I think all of my protagonists have different voices now. The one I'm writing now is 3rd person, but focused on a male's POV. Hard, but rewarding to write. :) NaNoWriMo has taught me a lot too and I'm glad that it exists. It gets me off my butt to write. Camp NaNoWriMo too for those summer months is helpful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to consider Camp NaNoWriMo..didn't know they had that!

      Delete
  3. That's awesome.
    I don't know what I'm going to do when school is over. I seem to write well as long as there is a giant deadline looming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you have the makings of an author--it's all about deadlines! :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, way to go on the writing - its interesting how it seems you really get to know yourself even better when going through a process of writing - and - the line " and reward myself with chocolate to accomplish my daily plans" made me chuckle as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Obviously I didn't beg hard enough - I want to read that book of yours!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!