Apr 18, 2012

P is for Poetry

I like poetry. I like reading it, especially those that aren’t too obscure. I like the way skilled writers use words and paint pictures with them. Sometimes I like to dig for meanings and find treasures, but mostly I just like to enjoy them as I read them.

I think the reason I enjoy music so much is that the lyrics are like poetry. Some people just have a gift for crafting words.

And I dabble in writing poetry, just for fun. Tucked in between pages of my old journals, I have evidence of this. These simple poems may never see the light of day, but I only wrote them for me, anyway.

A couple of years ago I bought a book with birthday money called Good Poems compiled by Garrison Keillor. He has a podcast called The Writer’s Almanac. I sometimes browse used bookstores for little books of poetry. I seem to gravitate to the ones with pages that are well worn.

I recently somehow found an excellent poetry blog that really simplifies the poetry-writing process with interesting, fun  exercises.  

Here is a poem by Emily Dickinson: 

Death is a dialogue between

The spirit and the dust.

“Dissolve”, says Death;

The spirit, “Sir, I have another trust.”

Death doubts it, argues from the ground.

The spirit turns away,

Just laying off, for evidence,

An overcoat of clay.

 

Isn’t that beautiful?

And then this one by Leonard Cohen. I love it:

Ring the bells that still can ring

Forget your perfect offering

There is a crack in everything

That is how the light gets in.

 

Do you ever read or write poetry?

9 comments:

  1. I WANT to like poetry...but a lot of it baffles me. Sometimes you come across a poem that just hits the spot, though. When I do like a poem it's because the words condense thoughts/situations/scenes down to the minimum number of words while still getting the idea across. That's when a poem appeals to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same.. I do really like poetry, but not ALL poetry.I find it frustrating to write good poetry. Wish it was easier.

      Delete
  2. We spent a trimester on poetry my freshman year of high school. After all of that analyzing and writing poetry, I just don't like it. Those were some beautiful poem choices, but I just can't get into poetry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. I don't find writing poetry easy at all! Unless I break all the rules.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE poetry. I recently came across this Elizabeth Barrett Browning one and copied it into the notepad of my handy iPhone:

    Earth's crammed with heaven,
    And every common bush afire with God,
    But only he who sees takes off his shoes;
    The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the writing of Elizabeth Barrett Browning! She's one of my all-time favorite poets. :)

      Delete
    2. Oh, I LOVE that, too! The first time I read it, I thought it had only the first 3 lines. I didn't realize it had 4 until quite a while later.

      Delete
  4. I love poetry and I have written quite a few poems over the years. My blog "Heartstrings" (http://heartstringsbysuzanne.blogspot.com/)is where it sometimes lands for others to see. I haven't written any in a while, though. I'm doing good just to put two words together right now.

    I enjoyed reading both of your "P" posts today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to write loads of poetry when I was a teenager but sadly haven't written any poems in ages.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!