Want to know if the person you are considering renting your suite out to will look after it? Don’t call her references. Have a look at her car. How a person takes care of a car can tell a lot about her.
According to the book Reading People by Jo-Ellan Dimitrius, the owner of a consistently messy or dirty car is probably unconcerned about first impressions, not meticulous or detailed oriented, very busy, disorganized, or lazy. Perhaps not the perfect candidate to take good care of your newly renovated basement suite.
In the same way, someone who has a clean, shiny car is probably organized, pays attention to details, is orderly, and/or cares what others think.
Throw dogs or children into the picture, and if the vehicle is still relatively tidy and spotless, you know this person is probably extremely disciplined and organized. Which means you might have a lot of complaints from this person, if they think things aren’t functioning perfectly in the rental accommodation.
I think you can say the same about a woman’s purse. I keep my house like I keep my purse. My purse starts out clean, with minimal contents. Everything is happily in its place. But, a week later, not so much. I’ve stuffed receipts and kleenex into it, loose change can be found jingling at the bottom, my wallet is open with a few cards hanging out, and my cell phone is stuffed in the wrong compartment. Time to start over again. I love a clean purse—it just doesn’t stay that way for very long. As long as I organize and clean regularly, I don’t see a problem, though.
How about you? What does the condition of your car or your purse say about you?
Judging by the condition of my car it is a good thing I own a home. I don't think anybody would rent one to me! :-)
ReplyDeleteMy car needs a little picking up, but it isn't bad. My purse... is a whole other story. I always have way too many pens in there! Whenever I leave the house, I seem to add a pen to my purse. Kinda ridiculous. Also... my bedroom - there's a pile on the floor of stuff that needs sorted. I guess my car and purse would say that I need a little more organization. :)
ReplyDeleteOh, my goodness! You will never rent to me or even let me into your house, judging by the state of my car AND my purse. I'm probably like Pigpen...shedding clutter everywhere I go :)
ReplyDeleteThe condition of my car is that it looks pretty neat until you look too closely and you can see the grunge. My purse is a disaster. My house, not so bad.
ReplyDeleteWhile I was filling up at the gas station this morning, an older man walked by smiling and said, "With gas prices the way they are no one wants to be making car payments. I'm guessing that one is paid for? That's smart!"
ReplyDeleteNeedless to say, my car is nothing fancy on the outside, and the inside is nothing to brag about either...but its paid for, so that makes me responsible person, right?? :)
My car is not an accurate representation of me because I'm outnumbered but other less tidy, less organized people who also use my car. My purse however is kept in tip top order most of the time.
ReplyDelete