Apr 26, 2012

W is for the Web of Connections

More than ever, it’s easy to make connections with people all over the world. Not that long ago, if a friend or family member moved away or traveled, we would rely on the telephone or snail mail to correspond. And sometimes that meant waiting for days or weeks before we heard anything.

Now, everything has changed. Within seconds and minutes, we are connected. It’s wonderful!

Facebook, Google Plus, Skype, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, blogs, emails, websites and so many other ways to communicate, that it can become a little overwhelming and often is overkill. I mean, how many means of communication can we really keep up with?  And when will we have time to just go out for coffee in person? And what will we talk about over coffee if we’ve been socially networked all week?

If you had to unsubscribe from all but one social network (besides basic email), which  would you keep?

I am not really a fan of Facebook, although the private messaging is handy. I like Twitter for following interesting authors, musicians, etc, but not so much for tweeting. At this point in my life, I think I’d choose to keep blogging. Blogging is fun, for the most part, and I’ve met some wonderful, interesting people through it.

What about you? 

9 comments:

  1. Wow, tough question! I suppose I'd keep Facebook since I have a mix of friends, family and professional contacts on my accounts! Good post! Happy A to Z! ~ Angela, Whole Foods Living, http://www.wholefoodsliving.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know me, I'm not really into social media. But I am loving Instagram.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you need a camera for Instagram. My phone is from the Dark Ages. ;0

      Delete
  3. I actually gave up Facebook for Lent - it was very liberating, after the first couple of days wondering if anyone missed me!

    Now I've been back, I can honestly say that the attraction has gone. I was never a slave to it as such, and I got annoyed by so many notifications that turned out to be hust other people leaving messages on a thread I might have just 'liked' once, in passing!

    ALthough I love the ability to keep in touch with people electronically, you cannot beat the emotion of getting a letter or card through the post - it almost shouts 'I chose to give time and effort to creating this message for you!'

    Thanks for a thought provoking post! Happy A-Z'ing! (what's left of it!)


    SueH I refuse to go quietly!
    Twitter - @Librarymaid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on the snail mail. Nothing beats that! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. If I could only keep one thing I suppose I'd have to keep my blog. I love having an outlet for writing.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!