Moms are an insecure bunch. At least that’s my view. I’ve had a few discussions with some mom friends on what they really want for Mother’s Day. And guess what? It’s not chocolate. And it’s not an expensive gift.
It’s to know they are appreciated. Thought about. Valued.
I haven’t met a mom yet who’s perfect or thinks she is. And I haven’t met a mom yet who doesn’t want to know that she is loved by her kids (and her husband) despite her imperfections.
I remember years ago when I was a young mom, I didn’t realize the value of sending out something as simple as a Mother's Day Card. When I heard that my mother in law, not having received a card, was hurt , I (thinking I knew it all) was a bit miffed. I thought ‘What’s the big deal? It’s just a card.” I was so wrong. And so immature! As the years have gone by, I have grown to see things differently. A simple token of acknowledgement and love IS a big deal to moms. Maybe not all, but most. And making sure we remember to tell our moms we appreciate them isn’t too much to ask.
The last thing I want is for my children to feel obligated to celebrate Mother’s Day, though. I just want them to WANT to. And I have to say, I have been blessed with a husband who always remembers this day (at least I think he has!) and has brought up his children to see the importance of it.
How about you? Do/Did you tangibly appreciate your mom on Mother’s Day? Do you value being acknowledged on Mother’s Day or is it no big deal?
I have run the whole gamut about Mother Day thoughts; I was thinking of putting together a blog post about it. Its a hard day for so many; those women who want to be moms but can't because of infertility, those men and women celebrating their first Mother's Day without their moms, etc. Honestly, if I get something special for the day, that's great, if not, that's okay too. I know I'm loved and appreciated by my son; he may totally forgot Mother's Day, but I just know we have a strong bond regardless :)
ReplyDeleteMy mom passed 2006; my first mother's day without her I cried all through the church service. I like to hope she knew I appreciated her every day, not just mother's day.
I do hope you have a very nice Mother's Day!
betty
So sorry about your mom. I sure appreciate my Mom (who is now in her 70's) more all the time. You have brought up some excellent points! I wish that it wouldn't bother me if my kids forgot about Mother's Day, but to be honest, it would. And yes, I thought about adding to my post about how hard Mother's Day can be for so many, because it's so true. Thanks for adding that.
DeleteWait...is Mothers Day THIS Sunday? Whoa...I better get on that...
ReplyDeleteJUST JOKES mother dearest, just jokes :)
You are very appreciated! See you this weekend!
ha!ha!
DeleteI get the honor of speaking again this mothers day at church...your post has added some ideas for my topic. I hope you have a wonderful Mothers day.
ReplyDeleteNo wife, mother long gone. Oh well. Having raised my children myself, sans mother, I used to get mother's day cards from my kids. It was hilarious, but appreciated.
ReplyDeleteMay the Lord bless you this mother's day with an inner knowledge of just how proud of you He is, Geoff.
Thanks, Geoff! Your kids must think you are a fantastic parent! I have so much respect for those who raise their children without a spouse to be there to support/encourage. Have a great weekend!
DeleteI believe women, especially mothers, do so much every day for the people in our lives. Little things, big things. And all too often we feel underappreciated or unappreciated. Any recognition or form of thanks for our efforts at any time is a welcomed salve to help us recharge and recommit to continue our efforts. - Barbara
ReplyDeleteLife & Faith in Caneyhead
Mother's day was a very big thing for my Mom. We showered her with handmade and other cards and gifts and she was thrilled. Every year my family let me sleep as long as I want...then I wake up to find all my favorites made by Dad and the kids. Its wonderful!
ReplyDeleteHope you day is blessed.
Blessings, Joanne
Something must have thrown a switch for my husband this year. He has never gotten me even a CARD for Mother's Day even though I've been the mother of his children for 9 years now. He always says "you're not my mother." It used to hurt my feelings every year and the last few haven't been so bad because the kids are big enough that they started to embrace the holiday and always shower me with the most heartwarming handmade cards and gifts.
ReplyDeleteBut a little birdie told me that Matt went and ordered me a gift this year - no idea what it is, I'll have to wait and see. It is certainly nice to be appreciated.
I love motherhood and I love my two mothers - my mom and my mother-in-law who is so close to me. I always make sure to make a point of getting a card and a special gift to show them how much I appreciate them. This year, my m-i-l just moved into her new home and I got her a housewarming / mother's day gift. It is a cutting from a 'lipstick plant" that I rooted and potted. The plant initially belonged to my m-i-l's mother and I inherited it when she died a few years ago. I know she misses her mom a lot and she loves houseplants, so I think it will be special.
I go see my mom and mother-in-law every Mother's Day and bring a card and some sort of gift that usually revolves around something sentimental.
ReplyDeleteI also try to visit both my grandmother's, if I can, or simply send them a card!
I grew up being taught the importance of celebrating my mom on Mother's Day and we've brought up our girls the same way. I love celebrating my mom and my mother-in-law. I also love being celebrated myself. :)
ReplyDelete