Well summer feels like it’s almost over, so I thought I’d give you a quick recap of some of the places we traveled with Leroy VW Brown. This year we decided to do a lot of camping and instead of zipping from Point A to Point B, we relaxed a bit more and enjoyed the journey. Driving a 1986 Westfalia sort of forces one to do that!
Pictures never really capture the complete beauty because it’s just a snapshot of what we see, but it will have to do.
Our first road trip took us to Kokanee Creek Provincial Park near scenic Nelson, BC. It was our first (annual) campout with my side of the family (mostly my siblings and cousins and their spouses and children, with one little guy (my niece’s child) thrown into the mix). Beach time, bocce, friz-ball , biking, shopping and coffee time in Nelson, card games, laughter, hot springs on a rainy day…it was such a great time, we unanimously decided it will have to happen again. I’m sure our little family/cousin reunion will grow now that the word is out. We did get a little bit or rain, but I was very thankful for staying high and dry in the van!
A week after we got home, we packed up to head to Cortes Island, one of the Discovery Islands between Vancouver Island and the Mainland. It takes 2 ferries to get there, and a few hours drive interspersed. About 12 hours when all is said and done. Yes, it’s a long day to get there, but once we’re there, we are always happy to just RELAX! We arrived at my mother in law’s summer home (you can see it way up above the beach, in the trees, overlooking the ocean). We set up Leroy in the ‘meadow’, along with other family members’ tents. This year was a reunion of sorts, with four of my husband’s six siblings altogether for the long weekend, along with my mother in law. It was really a great time! The weather was the best we had experienced in years…sunshine day after day. We enjoyed almost daily beach time, which meant lots of reading and knitting. Hubby did what he enjoys most – puttering, playing with the chainsaw, and spending time chatting it up with his mom and siblings. After 10 days, we were ready to head out for more adventures.
We decided to take the long way home. More pics to come!
You were in our old stomping grounds! I really miss Kokanee Creek. It sounds like you had a wonderful summer of adventures. Nice socks!
ReplyDeletewow looks awesome...I can't wait till it is just Keith and I on the open road...although I am still enjoying (mostly) time with my girls although 15 year olds and camping are not always a happy mix :) I'll take it as it won't be long and we will be on our own.
ReplyDeleteIt would seem that camping with relatives was the thing to do this summer. Isn't it fun? It looks like you had a great time on both of your trips.
ReplyDelete