Nov 27, 2012

Driving in the Cold with the Windows Down

Why would I do that today, when the temperature was hovering around freezing?

Because I was trying to rid my car of cigarette smoke odor.

Why did my car reek of cigarette smoke?

Because a cigarette- puffing stranger sat in my car, dropping ashes on the dashboard. 

What was this person doing in my car?

Rummaging through my personal belongings, stealing items that didn’t belong to him.

What did he take?

My 20 CD’s and soft case, my old phone and its charger, my iPod FM transmitter, my sunglasses, my decorative rearview mirror chain (sentimental value), and even my ashtray with some pennies, nickels, and dimes.  Nothing of too much value, thankfully. But he also helped himself to the contents of hubby’s truck and stole his tools, etc, (which added up to quite a sum).

When did this thief take this?

Last night while we were home,unaware of what was going on in our driveway.

Am I upset?

Somewhat. Especially  since it probably would have been avoided if our vehicles had been locked. Which it is 98% of the time.

Yes, because of the blatant disrespect shown to other people’s property.  Grrrr.

But I have learned my lesson.

Besides being much more diligent about locking everything up, I’m getting this :

15 comments:

  1. oh dear now that is terribly frustrating...so sorry this happened to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sociology student in me says "it could have been a woman".
    That really sucks though Mom...especially because I know how good you guys are about locking up. Will most of it be covered by insurance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Studies show that car theft is committed by males 87.64% of the time. Just kidding, but I'm pretty sure it's true! I wanted to avoid the awkward he/she thing, so I chose he to represent humankind. ;) Covered by insurance, but with a deductible to pay first. :(

      Delete
  3. So sorry. Been there. Done that. And really, not locking your doors isn't always a help. We've had our windows busted for the crooks to get in. The best solution we've found (and we've had this trouble repeatedly) is to have an alarm, and one you can install yourself. Put that in (doesn't have to be expensive---just a noisy alarm from the auto supply) and leave the doors unlocked. They open your doors and get blasted with noise. Truly works like a charm.

    But I am sorry. We have two trucks with busted steering columns now. I do feel your pain. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to check to see what's out there for cheap car alarms, thanks for the idea, Melissa. I'm sure it will probably scare me away once or twice, too, though!

      Delete
  4. Oh, my goodness! How sickening! You just feel violated when something like that happens. I'm glad it wasn't a home invasion though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Geesh! What a thing to have to deal with!! Like another commenter said, it always does feel like a violation when our property is destroyed like this.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it felt exactly like that..to think a stranger was rummaging through MY stuff...yuk

      Delete
  6. Oh no! I'm so sorry this happened to you. Are the stolen items covered by insurance? I hope so, although it can't replace an item that had sentimental value.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are in the middle of making a list of what's missing. Just realized our son's bike was stolen, too, from the garage.

      Delete
  7. Oh Aneta. I'm so sorry to hear that this happened to you.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!