Nov 16, 2012

You have got to be kitting!!

The other night I attended the Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour  movie night with son and his wife. We watched 10 short outdoor movies in 3 hours. Powder skiing, kayaking, rock face climbing, rock crack climbing (just weird!), unsupported skiing to the South Pole, mountain biking, and more. Insert ‘extreme’ in front of everyone of these activities. Sometimes I think these adventurers have death wishes! But  I am also in awe of their fitness levels, and how they overcome their fears in order to accomplish these feats. It’s amazing to me what people can accomplish with determination and practice!

As I was browsing the film festival magazine during intermission, I came across an article entitled C.A.R.C.A.: The Evolution.

20121115_185630 

Apparently, there is a Canadian Avalanche Rescue Cat Association that I did not know about. I wondered to myself, how does a cat aid avalanche rescue operations? Do they sniff out the victims? Do they warm up the avalanche survivors? A mystery to me, and the article seemed very vague. It seems that there is only one rescue cat in the organization at this point (looks like my Buddy!) , but there are plans for ‘global expansion’.  They are requesting applications on their website. Check it out here: http://carca.ca/ The videos are amazing! ;)

I’m considering having Buddy apply for this position. I’m sure he’d be a great addition to the group. He is focused, has great paws for scooping snow, has no addictions to catnip or other drugs (that I know of, but he hasn’t been tested) , can move quickly if he has to, and is a pretty good traveller. What more could they ask for?

Apr 12 001 Ummm…I’m busy right now, can’t you see?Jun 12 138 noble cat, ready for duty

I’m only sorry this particular documentary- C.A.R.C.A.: the Evolution -  didn’t make it to our fair city. It would have been so inspiring! Move aside, human adventurers, make way for Rescue Cats!

2 comments:

  1. I've got Loki filling out an application right now. He is very friendly, and there will be no problems about hearing his voice once he has found someone who needs to be rescued.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very sweet--thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!