The shortest pencil is longer than the longest memory.
Which is one of the reasons journaling is a good practice!
Besides that, though, I think it's good for increasing creativity, clarifying thoughts and just clearing the brain of thought clutter. So many thoughts rattling around with no place to go!!
Did you know the one thing that many great thinkers have in common is that they journal?
I'm in love with the thought of writing every day. But not so much with the actual practice! But I'm ready to try again. Several years ago I wrote 'Morning Pages" - 3 handwritten stream-of-consciousness pages completed first thing each morning. I didn't always do it first thing and not EVERY morning, and not always 3 pages, but it did become somewhat of a habit. And then I quit.
This time around I am going to go through a book called The Writer's Book of Days by Judy Reeves, which comes highly recommended for getting creative juices flowing. And it sounds like fun, too. It's not specifically journaling, but it IS a way of getting my thoughts out. This book includes writing prompts and tips for every day of the year. It's one of those books that is laid out so that you just WANT to read it.
The big question is: paper and pen OR iPad? I just can't decide. I've got 2 days to make up my mind.
Do you journal or write, besides blogging? Pen or keyboard?
Wow! Thanks for mentioning this book. I just bought it for my Kindle. It looks great! Good luck in your writing journey in 2013. Maybe we should meet once a month to compare notes/progress??
ReplyDeleteSounds like a good plan... the book does recommend a 'support group'. :)
ReplyDeleteI can't believe I'm just catching up on your blog now.
ReplyDeleteI have that book! I have had it since about 2001 and I can't seem to let go of it. So much good advice. I used to do something like morning pages too. Great practice. I'm wondering if you chose pen and paper or otherwise.