Jan 17, 2013

Connections

I'm reading about it in books, articles, and even hearing interviews on the radio. It's all about the risks of too much online time - how it is isolating people, robbing them of social interaction, which is sort of ironic, isn't it? Whether it's earbuds in ipods as one is waiting at the bus stop, or playing online games, or facebooking, tweeting, blogging, texting... too much of a good thing is NOT a good thing.

If you feel lonely or depressed, it could be that your life may be out of balance. Studies are showing that people who spend too much time connected to their devices at the expense of real-life interactions, may show signs of depression or sadness. We are made for community, and sitting at home alone with a screen in front of one's face apparently is not a good substitute.

There, of course, is nothing wrong with our electronic devices, per se. But, taken to an extreme, especially in young children, they can be very detrimental.

I really LIKE my blogging community, getting to know people I may have never otherwise met in this lifetime. But it's not a substitute for a face to face interaction with friends.

That's why I will never give up walking with friends, outdoor activities, crafting with friends, Starbucks with friends, helping out with projects and ministries, double dating, dinners with friends. It's necessary for my mental health. Sometimes I have to push myself out the door, but it's worth it.

What about you? Do you find that it's easy to get sucked into the vortex of social media and e-devices?

 

5 comments:

  1. With my low energy issues it is really easy to get sucked into too much computer time...I know how much the few hours of card making with you and Anne picked up my spirits! I am glad to be back into the routine of my swimming and soon bible study again. I crave human interaction and that is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can be easy to get sucked into too much online activity. I know for me it is a godsend at times since I work at home and only have 1/2 hour for lunch; can't get out to meet someone for lunch, but can "connect" with someone online to get that interaction. However, I agree it should never come before spending time with people in person.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oi. these days, I am barely online. And to be honest, I am rarely on for very long. It seems kinda interesting... but not. I am not really a techno girl, I guess.

    Now BOOKS are another matter. I could hide for days from people and read books =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES!

    But blogging and reading blogs I love. I've really cut down on the number of blogs I read though.

    I just wish I could quit facebook. Even though I'm only on there because I have to be for my job, and I really wish I could give it up, I just don't seem to have the self-control to stay away. I compulsively check facebook three or four times a day. Maybe more. And I find the whole facebook culture to be much more isolating and and anti-social than, say, blogging. But there I am, on the facebook. Posting cute pics of my kids. Sigh. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting question for me. I just started a blog to move away from the likes of Facebook and Pinterest. I go in spurts where I'll post everyday or quite a few times a day then life gets busy and I have to pull back.

    I wound up feeling guilty. For example I went to my Pinterest account the other day a a post I made had 554 repins, I hadn't been on there for a month. The same would happen with Facebook I'd get private messages to check up on me to see if I was okay. With the different groups I was involved with it just got to be too much work. I only have 135 Facebook friends and can't keep up I don't know how people with 500, 1,000 or more do it.

    The blog gives me the ability to post in one place and then share it on the other sites.

    Images by Bil of the 60's and 70's

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!