Jan 15, 2013

Putting A Lid On It

There was only one problem with receiving a Keurig for Christmas. I had just ordered several lbs of my favorite coffee from Relationship Coffee - naturally organic, shade grown, bird friendly, and direct trade - and I really wanted to continue drinking it. As well, I wanted a cheaper option for coffee, and I was concerned about tossing each container out after only one use. So, with a little research, I found options. But reading reviews on line about the MyKCup, I wasn't convinced that was the way to go.

Enter ABrewLids.com and I thought I'd give their solution a try. I received my order of lids the other day and today was the day I decided to test out their system.

 

I've been saving and cleaning my used K-cups since Christmas.

I lined them up, filled them with my freshly ground decaf coffee grounds.

I made sure each rim was free of any piece of foil, and I carefully centred each brewlid on the refilled cups.

Onto each lid, I placed my hot iron and counted to 4. After a few seconds of cooling, I folded the foil around the rim.

 
Testing time! I wanted to make sure the coffee wasn't watery. I chose the large cup setting.

 

And the coffee tasted GREAT! :)

I only used about maybe 1/3 of a 1 lb pkg of coffee beans, which means it only cost me about $3 to make 18 brewcups. Not bad! The 500 lids cost me about $30, including shipping from the States.

Now I can continue to enjoy my favorite homebrewed coffee, save $, and reduce/reuse the Kcups. I'm happy with my purchase.


 

3 comments:

  1. Oh cool!
    My biggest reason for not getting one of those things is the amount of waste. That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very clever! Glad it worked!! We too have a K-cup coffee maker (did you register yours? Don't forget to if you haven't because my first one broke, but it was still covered under warranty and they sent me a new one). Anyway, hubby just bought one of those reusable K-cup type of things and it works well with it.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. How handy you are! If I drank coffee I'd copy your idea.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!