Feb 12, 2013

Blue Like Jazz the Movie

I read Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller a number of years ago and thought it was both thought provoking, a little weird (wacky sense of humour), and enjoyable. I can say the same for the movie. Generally, I liked it. A little wild at times. (I mean, are there really college campuses that weird? Probably yes, but my university experiences were nothing like that!)

This comedy/drama is loosely based on Donald Miller's experiences as he comes to terms with finding (or redefining ) his faith. In the semi-autobiographical film, a 19 year old Don leaves the subculture of his Baptist church community and enrolls at Reed College, one of the most progressive "anything goes" campuses in the country. He is exposed to varied experiences, people, lifestyles, and beliefs. This movie is about God, loving and accepting people as they are, and faith seen as a conversation rather than a monologue. It shows an honest picture of people grappling with what they believe, each on their own unique journey.

Sure, I was uncomfortable with a few things I saw or heard in this movie. But it was still a good movie. Life is messy and can be complicated. The path to finding one's own faith looks different for everyone.

This movie was not about selling Christianity, but rather about encouraging people to be 'truth tellers', allowing others the freedom and respect to find truth and a relationship with God in their own unique way.

Great story, great characters. If you read the book and liked it, you will want to watch the movie.

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read the book, but I got the movie from the library and watched it. It was interesting. And yes, I think there are really college campuses that are that weird.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!