Mar 2, 2013

on comments and replies

I'm doing a little poll here. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Let's say you've posted and you have comments. :) Which do you do most often? Which do you think is best? Why?

a) you rarely or never reply to comments; it's assumed you've read them and appreciate them

b) most of the time you reply to them, but usually in a private, personal email or on the commenter's blog

c) most of the time you reply to them in the comment list, because commenting is like a conversation, after all, and you assume people are returning to read your reply

d) all of the above, depending on how you feel or how busy you are

I have, at times, replied to each comment in the comment list, but then begin to feel the pressure to continue in this mode (pressure I put on myself, of course). I find it's awkward if I don't reply to EVERYONE in subsequent posts. So, then I default to d). Which works best for me.

Just to be clear, I appreciate all comments to my posts, whether you hear from me or not! :)

How about you?

 

8 comments:

  1. I am absolutely TERRIBLE about responding to comments. I have people who when I comment on their blog, they send back an email thanking me for the comment and say something back. I rarely if ever email back unless it is something like when I posted songs my hubby had done and people responded, I did thank them for saying they liked the songs, etc. If someone does ask a question, I will respond back to that or leave them a comment on their blog when I'm commenting about their post. I usually do that in a parenthesis after I leave a comment about what they wrote).

    I'm not sure if there is an etiquette about comments, if so, I'm not following it :)

    Every so often I do a massive thank you at the end of my post thanking everyone who reads and comments

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reply to the comments in the comment list. But I don't do it for every post. I guess my rule of thumb is to either reply to all the comments or not to any at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm "D" for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually reply to comments on the post - most people have it set up so you get an email when someone replies to your comment or it will will just go as an email to them. I try to respond to comments and visit the person's blog to give them a comment for helping me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm likely all of the above...but don't feel pressured either way if someone specifically asks a question I usually reply on the blog but then wonder if they ever come back to read it...because I rarely go back a second time to look...hmmm Of course I don't have many who read my blog... so it is a bit mute for me. I use it more of a sounding board for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is interesting, and something I think about. On my blog, I never (well, maybe once or twice) reply to comments in the comment box. I figure it's a pain for folks to come back to my blog, click on the post they commented on and expect a reply. Way too time-consuming. If I do reply, it's in an email (if they've left their email address in the comment).

    I actually don't think it's necessary to reply to a comment. Unless the person has asked a question, then it's an email reply they'll get. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'm a C. I am trying to reply more often because I've noticed that I like it when people reply to my comments on their blog. But then again, sometimes I just don't know what to say.
    Ha ha. You're making me think too hard about this Aneta!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always reply, but by email. Then I can be more personal, if need be. Also, I agree w/ Melissa above. People have to come back to your blog to see your reply, if it's in the comment section. Your comments will be seen/enjoyed by other readers, but the person you're responding to might not come back to check. Email works best for me.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!