A is for All the Small Poems by Valerie Worth
I really enjoy reading poetry. Not so much book length poems, but those which consist of a few verses or a few lines. And they can't be too complicated, just enough to intrigue me, comfort me, or inspire me.
Why this book? for homeschooling. I bought this probably 20 years ago, to enjoy with my kids. Sometimes during lunch, I would read a poem, omitting the title, and they'd have to guess what the poem was about.
Here's an example:
______
The ____ pushes
Its soft skull
Up through the soil,
Spreads its frail
Pale bloom
And floats,
A dim ghost,
Above the tomb
Where an oak's
Old dust lies
Flourishing still.
What do you think the title of this poem is?
Can you see how much fun this would be? It was like solving little riddles.. some were easy and some not so. Little nuggets of enjoyment, like pieces of melt in your mouth candy.
Why I still have it - because I have a little shelf reserved just for my poetry books, and it has its home there. I don't need a better reason that that, do I? Well, in case I do....one day I hope to share these poems with a grandchild or two (I have a few boxes of books waiting in the wings!)
Oh, btw, the title of the poem was 'mushroom'.
And, just because, here's a photo taken from my back deck. It's a beautiful day! Hope it's sunny over your way, too!

Sounds like a great little book! Looking forward to reading more of your entries! :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea to get youngsters interested in poetry. Love the photo, you are so lucky to have mountains in your daily view.
ReplyDeleteYes, I can see how much fun that would be. Love to hear about the experiences of other experienced home educators. I hope to package up some of those great ideas an pass them on to children to home school my grandchildren along with a box of books for each of them as well. In the meantime, it is good to have a shelf with old favorites. Be blessed, Maria from Delight Directed Living
ReplyDeleteInteresting and a great start with the challenge.
ReplyDeleteI blew one of my rules on this one. Always go with the gut or 1st feeling. I thought mushroom but figured it wasn't pretty or frail enough. I think in pictures so a young, delicate green sappling with part of the seed pod (Skull) still on it became my choice. That will teach me. Good post.
ReplyDeleteImages by Bil
Paintings and Sketches of the beauty that surrounds us.
I have the same book, and we used it in our homeschool, too. Although I have to say you were much more creative. I simply read the poems. :-)
ReplyDeleteI am the same way, I like, short, simple poems. If they get too long or complicated, I get lost and can't enjoy the, well, poetry of it.
ReplyDeleteI guessed mushroom, yay! I would have gotten a gold star for the day :) That's a great idea for an activity.
Super fun! I am learning all sorts of fun poetry things today! Love it! (Especially seems how I just started writing poems of my own!)
ReplyDeleteKonstanz Silverbow
nothoughts2small.blogspot.com
A-to-Z April Blogging Challenge Co-host
www.a-to-zchallenge.com