Apr 15, 2013

M is for The Magic of Thinking Big

This book, written by David J. Schwartz in 1959, is a training manual, full of little 'secrets' to living a more satisfying and successful life. I don't think anyone can argue with the principle that if you think and then act positively, you will have a greater chance of being happy in life. How we think makes a huge difference. The Bible mentions 'as a man thinks in his heart, so is he', and we are encouraged to think on those things which are true and lovely. What we think about matters. Often, we become our own worst enemy by listening to the negative voices inside (and outside) ourselves.

For example, here's a question for you. How does one become joyful? I was recently reading a book by researcher Brene Brown called Daring Greatly. She mentioned her discovery that the people who are most joyful are the ones who practice gratitude in life. Thankfulness for the big and the little things in life is a positive action, and it makes a huge difference.

Schwartz mentions the dreaded "mind-deadening" disease called Excusitis, which keeps us from success. Here are the four most common forms and their 'cures':

1. But my health isn't good. Thinking Big: Be grateful for the health you DO have; Refuse to worry; It's better to wear out than to rust out (I like that thought!)

2. But you've got to have brains to succeed. Thinking Big; A positive, optimistic, and cooperative attitude; the thinking that guides your intelligence is much more important than the intelligence you have.

3. It's no use. I'm too old (or too young) Thinking Big: It's one's attitude towards age that makes it a blessing or a barricade. Think about how many productive years you have left in life and ask yourself if you just want to grow old and bitter.

4. But my case is different. I attract bad luck. Thinking Big: There is no such thing as luck. Accept the law of cause and effect; Don't be a wishful thinker; begin developing the qualities that will help you succeed.

I'm the first to say some of these 'cures' aren't easy. I am a worrier, but I also realize what a waste of precious energy it is to worry..!

This book may be 'old' (about as old as I am!), but its message is still practical, relevant and uplifting. It's a keeper.

 

4 comments:

  1. I do have pessimistic tendencies, but I also totally agree that there is great power in positive thinking, and that those who rely on excuses like "I'm too old" or "I attract bad luck" to stay in whatever rut they're in could be doing so much more with their lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can cheer anyone else on, but have a harder time fighting those things for myself. I might have to look into this book. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been so much happier since I started making an effort to be more positive, and I feel so fortunate to have figured that out so early. Sounds like a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a really cool book!
    Shawn at http://laughingatlife232.blogspot.com/2013/04/elitists-and-how-to-care-for-them.html

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!