Apr 16, 2013

N is for No Breakfast Plan and the Fasting Cure

I thought that diets and fads that promise weight loss or renewed health and energy have only come into popularity in the past few decades, but apparently I was wrong. This book, The No Breakfast Plan and the Fasting Cure was popular in 1900 (!). It was written by Dr. Edward H. Dewey, who saw the physical and spiritual benefits of both short and long fasts.

I acquired this free book through free Amazon Kindle books. Honestly, I haven't read it yet, but it does intrigue me. It's based on this doctor's personal experiences, as well as with his patients and others who experienced benefits of fasting, sometimes for more than a month at a time.

Intermittent fasting is supposedly a healthy way to keep your metabolism revved up. I sometimes skip breakfast, and have done three-day cleanses. But I can't say I've ever fasted for more than a day.

How about you? Do you fast regularly?

4 comments:

  1. The only time I've fasted has been when a medical procedure require it. I wouldn't fast from choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think skipping breakfast counts, and I'm pretty sure its not the best thing for your metabolism either!

    Also, I wonder what the "H" in his name stands for?...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh. Thanks for introducing me to this book. I will run and add it to my kindle. I have done short term and long term fasts and find them to be very good for my health and well-being, not to mention the weight loss and cleansing, which I guess goes under health and well-being. I need a good fast right now. Thanks. God bless, maria from Delight Directed Living

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I haven't fasted since university, where it was something I'd put myself through after an overeating binge. Not good. :( Now that I'm calorie counting, I find that eating small meals and snacks through the day is a good way to feel full and high on energy without overeating.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!