Okay, I'm cheating here a bit, but I had this post planned for the letter G and never used it, so I decided, since it IS National Poetry Month, it would be okay to post twice in this challenge about poems. P is definitely for Poems.
I acquired Good Poems, classic and contemporary poems selected and arranged by Garrison Keillor, in Sept 2010 from Amazon.
I sometimes listen to a podcast called The Writer's Almanac (supported by the Poetry Foundation), in which Garrison Keillor talks for a minute or so about what happened 'on this day' in the life of famous writers or poets, and he ends with the reading of a poem. Which led me to checking out the website, which led me to putting this book on my Amazon wishlist. Then, for my birthday, my son gave me a generous Amazon gift card, so I purchased about 4 books, this being one of them. Every once in a while I pick it up and read a few poems.
Here's my choice for today:
Welcome Morning by Anne Sexton
There is joy
in all:
in the hair I brush each morning
in the Cannon towel, newly washed,
that I rub my body with each morning,
in the chapel of eggs I cook
each morning.
All this is God,
right here in my pea-green house
each morning
and I mean,
though often forget,
to give thanks,\
to faint down by the kitchen table
in a prayer of rejoicing
as the holy birds at the kitchen window
peck into their marriage of seeds.
So while I think of it,
let me paint a thank-you on my palm
for this God, this laughter of the morning,
lest it go unspoken.
The Joy that isn't shared, I've heard,
dies young.
This would be a great book to add to your collection. As the introduction states, 'Good Poems is for anybody who loves poetry, whether they know it or not'.

Poetry is not something I read a lot of, but every now and then I just have to have some. Usually I look it up online, but this would be a great book to have on hand for such occasions! Lovely excerpt you shared with us.
ReplyDeleteIt definitely sounds like a worthwhile buy!
ReplyDeleteNice choice of poem—I love Sexton's work. ☺
My grandma gave me a healthy love of poetry. :-) My mother and I both write it (though I think she's better at it than me!). You've chosen a lovely poem today - thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteHappy A to Zing! :-)
http://cbwentworth.wordpress.com