![[Jun%252012%2520084%255B2%255D.jpg]](http://lh3.ggpht.com/-lBK4yspC3m0/T9tr73MgvGI/AAAAAAAAEHQ/bzk9QLS3Ans/s1600/Jun%25252012%252520084%25255B2%25255D.jpg)
When you own an older VW , you also have to own this:
Actually, we own a few VW manuals...for bugs, for vans, and whatever else there is.. it seems there is always something that needs fixing or replacing or tweaking...
In our history we have owned several VW's. I can't say there are fond memories attached to all of them, though!
- beige VW bug - what dh purchased when we were dating. Once the wheel fell off when we were driving it.
- red VW bug- which we drove away from the church in.. and drove down the Oregon Coast in for our honeymoon. I loved this little car. It was in mint condition. :)
- blue VW station wagon - the WORST car EVER (in my opinion). We bought this when our beloved red bug got wiped out in an accident (black ice) not long after we moved to Edmonton. The owners assured us it was a great car. It turned out the heater barely worked; I don't know how we survived that first winter (with a baby!).
- Our youngest son caught the VW 'bug' when he was a teen, and his car is resting comfortably in our backyard right now. It needs a little TLC. I hear talk of a new engine being put in it this summer.
- and now.. Leroy VW Brown.. our Weekender van, purchased last June and enjoyed a lot last summer. We are anticipating more fun trips this coming summer. :)
Now you see why there are several manuals stacked on our basement bookshelf!


LOL. I know that book well! My brother had a Diesel VW Rabbit and he was always tinkering with that thing. That book was his bible.
ReplyDelete--
Tim Brannan
The Other Side and The Witch
Red Sonja: She-Devil with a Sword
The Freedom of Nonbelief
I've always wanted one of those vans! Seems like the perfect multi-purpose vehicle! I've generally had the use of a truck, or something subaru style, currently am driving a buick - and while a very nice driving car, handles great, very comfortable - it just doesn't suit for goat transport, picking up lumber, getting hay, taking the canoe...
ReplyDeleteWe used to have a 71 VW camper/bus. Loved it till it literally blew up on the freeway and almost killed my young son. We had good times in that bus.
ReplyDeletegood V post. Wish I had thought of it. :-)
I've never owned a VW, but have often thought about getting one. The older vans and Beetles were classic.
ReplyDeleteLee
Blogging from A to Z
Twitter: @AprilA2Z
#atozchallenge
Ha ha this was quite funny! (not the ice smash though). We once had a VW bus that we travelled our country in (here in South Africa). It was so great, the boys as youngsters having plenty of space in the back. Sadly it got swiped.
ReplyDeleteSusan Scott's Soul Stuff
Are you in Edmonton now? This Edmonton person wants to know! :)
ReplyDeleteVWs..oh they are something else, aren't they? I remember my mum complaining about huge bills.
My mum owned a bright purple one. It was a real eye catcher. The thing was, there were two in our small town and the owner of the other one loved to park out front of a very rowdy bar, much to my mother's horror. She was constantly fending off judgementnal attacks on her character, ha ha ha. I laugh now and I laughed then because she herself was snooty towards others, so I figured this whole pink bug thing was her Karma:P
We had a camper VW with curtains, a pop top that went straight up. I loved that car although it was freezing in the Winter. I learned to change the spark plugs by taking a class "Greasy Chick and the Dip Stick."
ReplyDeleteThat manual looks familiar, I think we have one amongst are car manuals. We had a volkswagon years ago. I loved it, but we sold it because we needed the money at the time. I wouldn't mind having another one someday.
ReplyDeleteCynthia (The Sock Zone)
a to z challenge
blueflute.wordpress.com
Hi. New member here. My husband and I had a 1966 bug in 1970. We pulled a 4x6 Uhaul from New Mexico to Washington state. I then drove it downtown to work up and down Tacoma's steep streets. I have nothing but respect for that little 'mule'!!
ReplyDeleteThis post made me giggle because I know of what you speak. We had an old VW camper van at one time too and I'm sure we spent more time fixing it than not. By the end I really loathed it. And yet, we've talked about buying another one sometime in the future.
ReplyDeleteFirst car I purchased was a blue VW bug...long ago, can't remember the year. LOVED that car. Used to have to scrap even the insides of the windows while driving. Clutch stuck, so sometimes had to put your foot under it, pull it up in order to shift, while you were also trying to scrap the windows as the defrost didn't work so well. Heat...were they suppose to have heat, lol. Usually by the time I got where I was going it had started to warm up. But...I was so busy with the clutch and the scraping..don't think I had time to get cold. Even had it repainted at one point...really loved that car. Replaced it with green VW bug, fond of it too, though it lacked a bit of personality compared to the first one. lol
ReplyDeleteI've driven a 1972 Super Beetle for the past 30 years so I know that manual well! ;)
ReplyDeleteI loved VWs as a kid. We never had one, but I always dreamed I'd buy one some day. (Yep, I dream small). I still don't own one but admire them. Even today, they keep running and running and running...
ReplyDeleteI love these old vans. They're still very common on the road here in South Africa.
ReplyDeleteI've never owned a VW :( but we play that punch buggie game all the time!! So..what did you do when the wheel fell off...while you were driving?
ReplyDeleteThe Good Twin @ thewinetwims.blogspot.com