What is education? According to Webster's 1828 Dictionary, "Education comprehends all that series of instruction and discipline which is intended to enlighten the understanding, correct the temper, and form the manners and habits of youth, and fit them for usefulness in their future stations."
I've also heard that education is "not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire".
Books are one means of acquiring a quality education. What is an education without spending time with great thinkers?
This book, The Well Educated Mind by Susan Wise Bauer is one I picked up from a homeschool supply store, with all intentions to read and study it. It is written to help those like me, who would like to add to their education by reading more great books, for enjoyment and learning. "'Using the techniques and systems of classical education, this new guide will give you greater pleasure in what you read, and greater understanding of it."
Mmm... I think I just may have to seriously start reading it!

I've always thought of education as a means to train the mind to think. I think that's where school fail in today's world. They don't teach them to think and figure out an answer, they teach memorization which fails us all at some point.
ReplyDeleteIf it makes you feel any better, I bought this book ages ago - back when we were homeschooling - and it is still sitting unread on my bookshelves.
ReplyDeleteHi,
ReplyDeletevisiting from atoz! @Sandy, I couldn't agree more about education today. My kids go to public school, but they get their analytical and creative thinking skills at home. :(
I'm curious to read this book because I think I did get more of a classical education since I went to school in Europe.
Kristi
http://authorkristijones.blogspot.com/
I agree with you - I think being well-read is one of the better forms of education (this coming from someone who is about to finish her master's degree)! Reading the thoughts of other great thinkers gives you a starting point and the freedom to then think your own thoughts. This book looks great!
ReplyDeleteI believe a well educated and active mind also staves off elder mind disabilities.
ReplyDeletePopped by from Arlee's AtoZ post.
thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com
"The Well Educated Mind" sounds interesting--I'll have to check it out. And I agree with you about the reading. That's definitely the first step to an educated mind.
ReplyDelete"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire," fits in perfectly with this piece. We all can learn so much more through reading. Nice to meet you via A to Z! Glad I finally got here!
ReplyDeleteJulie
I think I have read that, but it has been so long ago if I did that I'm not sure. I have heard good things about it though. Enjoy!
ReplyDeleteGood book. I am glad to have it on my shelf as a reference. God bless, Maria at Delight Directed Living
ReplyDelete