Apr 30, 2013

Z is for Zechariah

I scoured my bookshelves for a book beginning with the letter Z, and found it, nestled in between a set of 66 books that comprise the Bible. Zechariah is the 38th book, the second last of the Old Testament book. It was written around 520 BC; the people of Judah had returned from Babylonian exile to face a ruined temple and city of Jerusalem. Zechariah was a young prophet who came to encourage them when their spirits were low, and to remind them that God was with them still. He, along with his contemporary Haggai, an older prophet, encouraged the people to work together. Zechariah told of many visions, all which pointed to the promise of the first and second coming of Christ. As well, he continually relayed encouraging messages sent from God.

This particular passage reminded me of our provincial elections coming up. Wouldn't it be great if our candidates took these words to heart?:

"And now here's what I want you to do: Tell the truth, the whole truth, when you speak. Do the right thing by one another, both personally and in your courts. Don't cook up plans to take unfair advantage of others. Don't do or say what isn't so. I hate all that stuff. Keep your lives simple and honest." Zech. 8:16,17 The Message

Wouldn't it be great if we ALL took these words to heart in our everyday lives?

 

 

3 comments:

  1. I always believe that truth always wins out no matter what. Great post for the letter "Z".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on making it all the way through the alphabet! We're done!

    I'm not familiar with the story of Zechariah, learned something new today. Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really an interesting translation. I like it! And yes, let's deliver that expectation to each candidate who ever runs for office. Great Z post. Congratulations. God bless, Maria at Delight Directed Living

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!