How are you doing with your New Year's Resolutions? Did you even make any? Do you even remember the ones you made? I couldn't remember what I had decided, so I looked back and was reminded that I had decided to do the 30 day Challenges. I've been pretty pitiful in that department, but every little step forward is just that, a step forward.
This month, I had decided to begin getting up earlier than I have been. I had been reading from a book called The Power of Less by Leo Babauta. He believes that if you want to create new habits, it's important to do it in small increments that are easy to achieve. My goal is to get up at 6:30 each morning. So, I've begun getting up 15 minutes earlier this month. I'm no where close to 6:30 yet (I'm not a morning person) but I'm 15 minutes closer than I was last month!
Here are the steps to creating a new habit (not that I've been successful in following each one):
- Select one habit to focus on.
- Write down your plan (including when you'll do it, and what will be the 'trigger' - the activity/habit that always precedes your new habit)
- Post your goal publicly
- Report on your progress daily (suggested to tell the same group of people each day)
- Celebrate your new habit!
Have you achieved any resolutions so far this year? Set any new habits? What's your secret?
Love the tips for starting a new habit...it can take up to 6 weeks for a new routine to become routine...some stat from my Arthritis teaching manual!
ReplyDeleteGood luck!