Nov 1, 2013

Overcomer



I don't know about you, but sometimes life  gets me a little down, and I need a little pick-me-up. Often for me, it's music.. music that speaks peace, hope, and truth. I am a lover of music, and I have very eclectic taste ranging from classical to hip hop. They all have their place and they all satisfy something in my soul. All good music is God's music, I say! :)

You know, we all have tough times. Hard things we have to deal with. I believe 100% in trying to find the good in every situation. I belief that the practice of gratitude is powerful. I believe that the practice of praising God for who He is is powerful. And sometimes, we need permission to just say how we feel.

We don't need to pretend everything is okay, and just repeat positive mantras or Bible verses all the time. I respect people who tell me that their life isn't moving along swimmingly, because sometimes (maybe most times!), it isn't. In this world we WILL have trouble...

Recently I read a post online where the writer gave everyone reading permission to state the pain they were going through in their life at that moment. No glossing over. No guilty "I shouldn't complain because xyz is going through worse things than I am" comments.  My first reaction was, really? Is that accomplishing anything? I read through the long list. I didn't add my own, but I could have! Then I realized something. This woman had offered a listening 'ear', a place for people to share their pain. And it was wonderful. It's healthy to name our troubles and the despair that sometimes accompanies them... the Psalms are full of naming troubles.

My mom is one of my heroes. She says things as they are, from her perspective, yet she is one of the most sensitive people I know.  She's in her late 70's , had a few health issues lately, and she's tired. She said, in her own sweet, but intense way, "Getting old sucks!", as only she could. I chuckled at the time. But.. that's truth. I think getting old(er) sucks, too, sometimes. And I respect my mom for saying so.

One of my favorite pastor's wives (from years ago) once said, in a difficult time in her life, "I hate my life". My pastor's wife! She shared how she was feeling.. from the gut. And I respected that a lot.

I am learning to feel my pain and not to hide it. Of course, a safe place is necessary when sharing.

Mandisa is a new favorite of mine. This video is full of joy and hope. Try to listen to it without moving and humming along (and maybe shedding a few tears!). Bet you can't!

(If the video doesn't show, check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8VoUYtx0kw)

4 comments:

  1. Love that song...and yes honest truth about how we are doing when we feel safe is a blessing not only to ourselves but to the people we share with as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. We all need a safe place to admit/share how we really feel about any particular season, circumstance or person. My mother-in-law was such a blessing to me. I could tell how hubby aggrevated me or disappointed me from time to time. She'd had enough life experience to empathize with me and enough love for him it never lessened or changed her feelings toward him. I've also found time with God, where I can talk out loud to him about how I truly feel about something or someone is awesome. Because I know He loves me and them the same. And through the Holy Spirit, He has in turn corrected my outlook/approach and/or moved in the situation or person to bring about change. Also I agree that "counting your blessings" can be wonderful mood elevator...especially when you are feelng so down that you are ignoring them all. Seems once you start praising and thanking God for each one, He gently reminds you of another and then another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always appreciate honesty in blogging, like in the blog you referred to. So often writers online try to convince us of how perfect their lives are. How refreshing when folks aren't afraid to admit it's hard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Neta! I remember talking to a friend, and telling her some of my troubles. After listing them, I started to say "But I know other people have it worse..." and she stopped me cold. She didn't want me to minimize my own suffering. As a matter of fact, I'm working on a blog post about that. Great minds, right?

    Getting pain in perspective is important, but facing it fully has to happen first. Thank God he sent you a word from that blogger that expressing pain or tiredness, like your Mom, is ok. Healthy even.

    Good post today! Lots to think about.
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!