Feb 27, 2014

Book Blab

It's been a while since I've ordered any paperback books from Amazon. I have been holding back on those purchases, usually obtaining free  or very inexpensive Kindle books instead. I have been (mostly) diligent about only adding the ones I really want to read, instead of just accumulating them because they are free and I might read them down the road. One can only read so much. And, honestly, I don't read as many books as I used to because I do enjoy spending some time reading blog posts from my favorite bloggers. It's a different type of reading, but still, much of it is great food for thought.

As much as I love my Kindle, it will never totally replace paper based books. So, today, I ordered a whack of books, most of which have been sitting in my Wishlist. And I can't lie, I'm excited to receive the Amazon parcel(s). It's like I'm anticipating a birthday present!  I've purchased a combination of new and used books, so they are coming from different booksellers.

Most of the books are nonfiction (no surprise to those who know me!).

I recently read/listened to City of Tranquil Light by Bo Caldwell, and LOVED it. So, I ordered another one of hers, called The Distant Land of My Father. Both novels are based in China, a country whose history and culture have always fascinated me. I recently listened to a podcast interview with the author, which made me anticipate the book even more.

Just based on reading reviews, I ordered Into the Free by Julie Cantrell.

For Lent, I ordered Lent and Easter Wisdom from Henri J. Noewen by H.J. Nouwen. I know it'll be too late for this year, but at least I'll have it for next year. I've considered purchasing one of his books for a while.

And the remainder: 
A Circle of Quiet by Madeleine L'Engle
Glimpses of Grace by Madeleine L'Engle
Praying for Strangers: An Adventure of the Human Spirit by River Jordan (real name!!)
When We Were On Fire: A Memoir of Consuming Faith, Tangled Love, and Starting Over by Addie Zierman
To Be Told: Know Your Story, Shape Your Future by Dan B. Allender
Jesus Feminist: An Invitation to Revisit the Bible's View of Women by Sarah Bessey

You know those blogs I mentioned which I enjoy reading? I get a lot of book ideas from them!

There are worse addictions out there. ;) 

Among others, currently reading: 
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
The God Hunt by Karen Mains

Excited about a book you're reading or awaiting? 

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lot of good books coming your way! A wide variety of topics and interests. I have to stay away from Amazon, LOL. I write down books that seem interesting and wait to see when/if they make it to the local library. I agree with you, I don't have a Kindle or such, but I do like holding a book, not sure if I would feel the way about a Kindle, but son has a tablet that I can download books onto, was thinking of doing so to test it out to see if I would like that format.

    Not currently reading anything; anticipating a library run this weekend :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read books on my iPad as well as my Kindle, and really, enjoy both. Doing Bible reading in YouVersion on my iPad is great! Try the tablet--you might like it!

      Delete
  2. Woah! You are gonna be busy =)

    The Book Thief is my next read. Where did you get Henri N.'s book from? I saw it used for $26 as the cheapest and decided against it for now.

    Cheers to good reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazon.ca used books has some copies for basically just shipping charges.

      Delete
  3. Hi Neta! I just ordered two books from Amazon myself. I'm going out of town in a week and I think they'll be great for vacation reading.

    I have a Kindle, but I really don't read on it much. I like the feel of a book. I guess I'm a bit old-fashioned that way. One of the books is "Restless...Because You Were Made For More", which a blogger that I visit recommended. I love that! I'll be taking down a few of your books too. Let us all know what you think of them, ok?

    Blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that book on a blog somewhere, too, and would like to know your thoughts on it. I hope to blog a bit about some of the books I'll be reading (or have read).

      Delete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!