May 6, 2014

Simple Woman's Book Club


Title:
Praying for Strangers

Author:
River Jordan

I read this book in/on:
paperback format and it is my own copy

My personal thoughts on this book:
At the time her two sons went off to war in Iraq in 2009, River Jordan decided to pray for them regularly. This inspired her to make a New Year's Resolution to pray for a stranger every day for a year, which would help keep her from constantly worrying and would help her to focus on others. This book tells of her experience of asking God to show her 'one significant, special person' each day. River would introduce herself and offer to pray for any needs the person might have. Most often, she would pray later, but she did have a few experiences of praying 'on the spot'.  This simple act of offered prayer made a difference to both the recipient and the pray-er. 

I loved this book. River is honest about her hesitations and struggles in praying for strangers (all those 'what ifs' we think about!), which makes her easy to relate to. It was never easy for her to approach a stranger with this unique question, but always worth it. If you have ever wondered whether one small act can make a difference, this book will prove to you that it can. Prayer changes people. People are desperate to be seen, to be cared for.  I have been encouraged to pray for strangers now, as I pass them. Not yet at the point of stopping and asking them specifically, though! One step at a time!

Here is a link where you can find/purchase this book:

A favorite quote from the book:
To be a Christian without prayer is no more possible than 
to be alive without breathing.
Martin Luther King, Jr.



Come join the Simple Woman Book Club here:

4 comments:

  1. That does sound like a good book; I might check it out. I don't regularly pray for strangers, but if I see a situation I will sometimes say a prayer. I know lately with the medical reports I type if it is a particularly sad situation (dealing with cancer, loss of child, etc.) I'll say a prayer for them, not of course knowing them. Great concept to do and I'm going to make more of an effort to do this!

    thanks for the review

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praying for those whose names you come across in your work is a wonderful way to make a difference!

      Delete
  2. This review causes me to want to get the book and read it! Prayer is such a privilege and I'd love to hear of River's experiences as she spent her time praying for others. Thank you for the great review...and for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need another book like I need a hole in the head, but your review and the fact that she is honest about her struggles? Well, I just placed an order! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!