Creativity flourishes when we have a sense of safety and self-acceptance. Your artist, like a small child, is happiest when feeling a sense of security. As our artist's protective parent, we must learn to place our artist with safe companions. Toxic playmates can capsize our artist's growth.Julia Cameron, The Artist's Way
Which reminds me of my grade 9 art teacher. She was not a safe, accepting companion. She was definitely toxic. And my experience in that class probably destroyed my last little shred of confidence in considering myself a creative person.
But, thankfully, since then I have spent time over the years with positive, helpful, encouraging teachers, family, and friends. And so I tentatively attempt various creative projects, enjoying the learning process.
And I've come to believe that everyone is uniquely creative, because we all are created in the image of God, who is THE creator. It's our self talk (often stemming from negative experiences) that usually keeps us from leaning into the creative experience.
The Great Creator has gifted us with creativity. Our gift back is our use of it.
Today I spent several hours crafting with some of my favorite people, girlfriends who are positive, safe, and accepting. It always takes a little while to relax and get into the groove of cardmaking, I find. But once we are all settled with our artistic supplies surrounding us, a cup of coffee or tea and a treat within reach, and some good conversation.. well, then we are all off and running.
It was a great way to spend a Saturday in November.

Love this. You know, I think the two of us would get along very well in person. :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun time you all must have had! It is sad about that teacher though. Teaching might not have necessarilty been her calling I would imagine. I remember years ago getting an "F" on some type of art project in elementary school by a Catholic nun. I don't clearly remember the project, but I definitely remember the "F."
ReplyDeletebetty
Sorry I missed it I was so looking forward to it...next time :)
ReplyDelete