So, are you feeling that, with a new year, it's time to declutter and simplify your life? Me, too. That's why I decided to read the life-changing magic of tidying up by Marie Kondo. I wanted to gain some some new perspectives on decluttering, and definitely got that here.
- When simplifying your possessions, choose one category at a time and spread them all over the floor; then decide if each item "sparks joy". If not, give it away or discard it. For example, if you are purging books, empty all of your bookshelves in your home all at once. Then pick up each book and ruthlessly determine if it is a keeper. How does it make you feel? Research shows that if you have a book that you are 'going to read one day', you most likely never will. Keep that in mind, too.
- Respect your clothing and fold items up neatly and mostly upright, not stacked or hung. They will be kinder to you.
- Shoeboxes are the best organizational tool, hands down.
- Storage containers (rubbermaid bins, etc) are NOT your friend. The smaller ones are a waste of money (see above) AND the larger ones just teach you to hoard. And they clutter up your home unnecessarily. If you are storing things, you probably don't need them.
- A tidy home gives you peace of mind and tidying up boosts your confidence in your decision-making ability (I could use that!)
- The reason you can't let something go is either because of attachment to the past and/or fear of the future.
- Letting things go teaches you that you can do without a LOT of things. And that regretting a decision is not the end of the world.
- Letting go of things teaches you to make decisions based on your personal values, and this relates to your whole life. It helps you know who you are and what you really care about.
So, did I just read this book and do nothing? Remembering that my ONE WORD for this year is MOVE (as in: don't just sit there, do something!), I decided to begin tidying up. I began with my husband's t shirt drawer. I didn't take a 'before' pic. I really should have because those poor t shirts were a jumble of mixed fibers! No matter how many times I organize that drawer, it doesn't stay that way for more than 2 days. So, I followed Kondo's recommendation and did this:
And you know what? He prefers it! This drawer has stayed neater longer because hubs is not upsetting the stack when he chooses a shirt.
I also went through my drawers and compartmentalized with shoeboxes. Bingo! I also decided to be kind to my socks and not roll them up into a ball. Apparently, there's a better way. Just a couple of folds will do.
I don't agree with all this author suggests. I don't have a shrine in my house and I don't think my clothing or my house needs to be thanked for what they do. Yes, I appreciate them, but I thank God for them ;) But, Kondo did confirm to me that I definitely have feelings toward inanimate objects such as jewellery, books, and clothing. I have gotten rid of a stack of joyless belongings, and really, I do feel better now.
I am planning to tackle my books and paper files gradually, just because I'm a tad rebellious. I'm not going to dump all my papers or books on the floor all at once. That would just make me want to scream and run away.
So, are you ready to do some serious tidying up? Check out this book, but if you buy it, make sure it 'sparks joy' if it's going to take up space on your shelf!

Sounds like a good book. I wonder if it addresses a chapter if you are ready to declutter but have a spouse that isn't, LOL :) That's my problem, but he is getting better about letting go of things. Funny, we decluttered a lot before we moved but still moved more than I wanted (mainly stuff of hubby's or his parents.) We get here and getting settled in and hubby said "we brought too much c@@p." I'm like (in my head) "yep."
ReplyDeleteYears ago when we moved, I remember how little Jesus had here on earth and how he doesn't value possessions over people. I tried to adopt that in everything I have and I honestly, of my possessions, not counting clothes, which aren't that much, I have one box of things, mainly journals through the years I've written in. Otherwise, hardly any knicknacks, etc. It really is freeing to have less.
Good for you for taking this challenge! I do know with books, because I was guilty of that before, to not buy them, but get them free from various online places or the library :)
betty
Just started this book! Looking forward to reading and learning.
ReplyDeleteI started in my small storage spot before I put christmas away...3 bags of garbage and one bag to give away. Now I can actually see what is in there. Next on my list is out basement (non) entry...non because you currently can not reach the door. Most of it is dump material. Now to just convince my hubby that January isn't a bad month to go to the dump!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the review, Aneta. I just bought the Kindle version of this book a couple weeks ago and it's next up on my list of "books to read."
ReplyDeleteHi Neta! I love the idea of spreading out my clothes and seeing what sparks joy. (Joy is my word for the year!) I have pieces of clothing that I hold on to, hoping to fit into someday...that isn't joy, that's causing me to feel bad about where I am. Yuck.
ReplyDeleteOnce I am up and moving again, I think I'll use that tip. Interesting idea about stacking clothes on their sides in the drawer. Makes a lot of sense. It's easy to forget about all those shirts under the top one!
Happy Weekend!
Ceil