Mar 26, 2015

It was a dark and boring night....

Near the end of our dinner last night, the lights flickered. Off. On. Off again. On Again. Then Off.  
We waited. 
Nothing.  
No power. 
And no hope for restoration until past our bedtime, it turned out! 
So, that meant my plans for getting some computer work done in the evening were dashed. (bittersweet, really)

There we sat, the 3 of us, as the room grew darker. We moved to more comfortable chairs in  our little sitting room off of the kitchen and chatted for a while. I lit some candles. I sipped wine. I shared some chocolate. We checked our phones on and off. I pulled out my Kindle, the one with the light attached.
 
Want me to read a story, I asked? (just like the good ol' homeschooling read- aloud days). I know I'm strange, but I LIKE reading out loud. 
They nodded.  Not excitedly (I should have noticed). 
Just..well... resignedly. 
I brought them up to speed on the story of one man's journey hiking the 2000 mile Appalachian Trail.
And then I began..
After about a half hour or so (maybe longer), I looked up at my quiet, respectful listeners and asked.. shall I continue to the next chapter? This was so good! 
Um.. I think I'm heading downstairs, said one.  
I think I slept through most of that, said the other. 
Oh, said me. 
Really? I thought to myself. 
I looked down at my Kindle, clicked to the next chapter and silently read on, destined to enjoy this book alone. 
To each his own. 


surviving a power outage 

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE to be read to, and always try to get my husband to read to me. He won't. And I'd gladly read out loud to him, but no. It doesn't fly. I so understand. But they're missing out, you know?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have enjoyed listening, but I do think there is sometimes something so soothing listening to someone reading; I might have fallen asleep too :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Power outage at night is the worst. Can't even see well enough to play a game.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Aneta! I'm just dropping by to wish you a Happy Easter. May God bless you and yours abundantly in this holy season. Happy Spring too!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  5. My girls still love being read out loud to. In fact, just last night I heard Paige ask Cam to read to her before bed!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!