Oct 17, 2015

The NIV Bible for Women - a review

How does one write  a review of the Bible? In this case, I am going to focus on what makes this recently published hardcover copy of NIV Bible For Women unique.

First of all, the cover. It's very attractive in both the color and the print style. I'd call it a robin's egg blue - soft, clean, and peaceful - which makes it a great color for a Bible jacket.


The subtitle for this version is "Fresh Insights For Thriving in Today's World', and it includes 260 relevant devotionals (one for each weekday)  tied to particular passages throughout the Bible. Each comes with a reflection and prayer.

 As well, there are 52 "Myths" that our culture  might have us believe is true, and these are described, explored, and exposed. All stories are actual events that have taken place in the writers' lives, and they are honest and relatable, especially for women. Quotes by well know authors are also included. These topics would be great conversation starters over a cup of coffee with girlfriends, too!

 If you read Christian women's blogs or are an avid reader of Christian nonfiction, you might be familiar with some of the writers featured in this Bible- Annie F. Downs, Shauna Niequist, Katie Davis, Laura Ortberg Turner, Tsh Oxenreider, and Margaret Feinberg, and Sarah Bessey, and many more (all with biographies at the back of the Bible). Topics range from social justice, social media addiction, economic inequality to  prayer, relationships, faith & doubt,  career, calling, and so much more. Definitely something for women in their 20's and up.

A few little quibbles with the NIV Bible For Women would be the font size. It's a little small for aging eyes! And not very dark. As well, the pages are thin, but then, I think most Bibles are printed on thin paper. I also might have preferred the Myths as an appendix, so they'd be easier to skim through. They have been strategically placed, along with the devotionals, throughout the Bible, with directions to the 'next' one.

If you are looking for a new updated copy of your New International Version Bible, or you are looking for a readable version of the Bible, this one would be great! It's full of encouragement to dig into the Bible to hear God's voice and grow deeper in your relationship with Him, and the extras remind us how relevant the Bible really is for us today!

I received this free Bible in exchange for an honest review. Thanks,   BookLookBloggers!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review, I might check it out. I am finishing a study of Revelation and thought afterwards I might get a new version of Bible to read, but this might be good as well.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!