Oct 11, 2018

~Door~

I've been thinking about the word 'door' and have not been inspired to write anything. This is a toughie! But, here goes.... 

Day 11 Door


It’s been said that a person who won’t read is really at as much of a disadvantage as a person who can’t read. I understand that there are some people who really only read for information, and not for enjoyment. I get that.  But, still,  I do feel that he/she is missing out.  

Reading is a door that opens to so many interesting worlds. Worlds that couldn’t be experienced, practically speaking, any other way. 

I just finished reading The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah , a story set in Alaska in the 70’s. That book helped me imagine what life would be like living in Alaska. All I could think as I read the book was ‘Well, that’s one place I will never choose to live’. Not sure if the author intended that, but the story and setting were enough to convince me that Alaska and me would not get along. Winters are long enough where I live!  Harsh climates and harsh circumstances --no thanks. 

That doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t want to do an Alaskan cruise, mind you. I think Alaska is BEAUTIFUL (from pics I’ve seen). But the door to driving up to Alaska and spending time up there has been forever closed, in my mind. 


Photo by Christian Walker on Unsplash

Have you read any fiction books lately that impacted you?


I’ve  joined the 31 Days of Five Minute Freewrites. Read more about it here.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that reading is a great doorway. I look forward to the days when I can read purely for pleasure again. Between my studies and teaching the 4 kiddos that are still home, my reading minutes are taken up. Still, reading for learning is a great adventure all by itself. I hope you get a chance to visit Alaska one day, but it is good that you got to experience it a bit anyway. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading!!
    Loved The Great Alone and I totally agree, wouldn't want to live there but would love to do a cruise!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!