It's not easy to get by without a little help from friends. In a world where independence is almost considered a virtue, it can be difficult to ask for help.
How many times in the last few days have you needed help?
I
know I’m going to ask for help with my computer once I’m done blogging.
Apparently my music app Spotify says it's ‘offline’ and I can’t get it to play, even
though I AM online!
I’ve also asked for
help with getting my phone to work last night. It seemed stuck in ‘headphones’
mode and I couldn’t hear anything unless it was hooked up to Bluetooth or to my
earbuds.
The other day I used google to figure out how to slide open the rear
window in my husband’s truck. We had purchased some long pieces of lumber and
wanted to slide them part way into the cab. The truck is new to us, and we hadn’t
used the electronic rear window slide before.
I gave my daughter in law some help the other day when I offered to
take my grandson for a little excursion to the park for a few hours. I didn’t
complain about that at all!
My girlfriend asked for help the other day when she needed a ride into town. And then she helped me later by hauling some furniture for me.
Most days I feel surrounded by people who are willing to help out. We take care of each other. We all need help now and then.
Sometimes it’s hard to ask for help, though. “Do you need some help?” are sometimes the most welcome words to hear. I read an excellent book recently called Option B by Sheryl Sandberg, about how to survive when life throws huge curveballs and the life you thought you had goes up in smoke. One suggestion that really stuck out for me was to be specific when helping a needy friend out. Instead of saying "Let me know if you need anything", tell what you will do and do it. It eliminates the suffering person having to expend more energy to contact someone and ask for help. She probably won't. Sometimes life is just too overwhelming to do that.
Sometimes I get a little overwhelmed by all the needs I see in the world. Do you?
Sometimes that leads to my prayers becoming very simple: "Help!"
Sometimes that leads to my prayers becoming very simple: "Help!"
I like that with offering how you will help someone and then follow through with doing it. I am better with offering help than asking for it, but I realize there are things that I'm not capable of doing (like opening jar lids these days, LOL) and that I need to have help for those things.
ReplyDeletebetty
Good post!
ReplyDelete