Oct 15, 2018

~When~


Another day of freewriting. This idea came to me minutes before I began typing.  There's more I could say about it, but I only have 5 minutes! 

Day 15 When

The question that has got me thinking lately is this: When does midlife start? When does it end? Can I still call myself a woman  in midlife and if not, what do I call myself at the ripe age of 59? I still consider myself in the middle years. I’m not in the beginning years and definitely not near the end. And I refuse to believe that any of my children are in midlife, because.... that’s just  ridiculous ;) 

Well, here’s what I think. I believe midlife starts at about age 40.  I think thirty something is just too young to be considered midlife. Besides, these days this group  is  young, active and amazing and the thirty somethings I know probably wouldn’t settle for being considered middle agers yet.

 I prefer to think of middle years as being from age 40-70. I know it makes no sense, but I think I’d be okay to be considered an old person after I turn 70. And not a day before!  


Photo by Mitch Lensink on Unsplash



3 comments:

  1. I'm 60. It just "ruffles my feathers" a bit when I'm typing a report and the doctor refers to someone in their 60s as elderly. I certainly don't consider myself elderly :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to often have this discussion at the hospital where I worked. We would take the average age of a woman (it's around 72 now) and then divide it in half. We decided that is when middle age started. Of course we were all past that age! LOL! Those who were nearer to 36 strongly disagreed with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I referred to myself as middle aged, and it shocked a friend of mine, who's 10 years older. Life is so funny, sometimes. Age isn't something that I think about very much. I have grey hair. Yep. I earned that. Some crows feet. Yep. I like to laugh. My left hand gets angry a few times a year. Oh look, here comes the family arthritis.

    This last week I bonked my right foot against the cat's dish, and the pain was blinding. After, I thought to myself, "It's probably time to talk to my doc to see what I can do to head off bunions." Then I looked down at my bare feet. Oh. I already have one started. Who knew?

    All of it is just something that happens. Maybe it will eventually bother me, but I'm not there yet.

    Also, I love your sense of humor! And I second the 40-70 range.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!