Feb 8, 2019

~Build~ (Five Minute Friday)


I’ve been thinking lately how to build a better life and realize that a lot of it has to do with habits.  It really is the little things, it seems.

I have started reading Atomic Habits by James Clear, all about how small changes can make a big difference in your life.  His life and his research shows that improving just 1 percent each day for one year will make you 37x better by the time you're done, and getting 1 percent worse each day will result in being at zero. 

"If you want to predict where you’ll end up in life, all you have to do is follow the curve of tiny gains or tiny losses, and see how your daily choices will compound ten or twenty years down the road.” 

James Clear believes we should be more concerned with where we're heading than our current results. This makes a lot of sense to me, when considering things we have control over (choices). For example, choosing to eat healthy food  today doesn’t really make much of a difference, but continue that habit tomorrow and the day after that, for one year, and your body will thank you - you’ll feel different than you do now! Speaking kindly to yourself today might not change your thought patterns, but if you did that everyday, what changes would you experience after a year? How might spending regular time in spiritual disciplines change your spiritual life?   Doing yoga three times this week might not make you feel calmer and flexible after 7 days, but continue that habit for 52 weeks, and you’ll see a difference. I know that I must apply this habit building concept to writing, because I tend to think about  and read about writing more than actually putting the pen to paper!

“Time magnifies the margin between success and failure. It will multiply whatever you feed it. Good habits make time your ally. Bad habits make time your enemy.” 

I’ve been challenged to think about the habits I am making. Are they leading me to a better life? This book is motivating me to be intentional about my future. I look forward to learning how to design and build habits to set me up for the life I believe I was created for. It's never too late to start. 



This post is part of the Five Minute Friday freewrite. Write for 5 minutes, no editing required! Please join in! 

4 comments:

  1. It's so true - if we want to build something worthwhile we need to develop good habits over time. All the little changes do add up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the concept of the book. Consistent changes done consistently really do make a difference in the long run.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've come to this idea several times in the last couple days....about choices. And the impact they have on our lives. It is our choices - not chance - that impacts what we do and helps create and define the lives we have. Repeated choices, no matter how small, become habits and really do help us build! Enjoyed your thoughts -

    Have a great week ahead!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts! :)

      Delete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!